Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taylor Tools

ordered a kit to make my own marking gauge from them and some fisch brad point drill bits. everything worked well.

2. I have ordered from them to Canada a few times without issue. The PEC blemished rigid rulers and the replacement combination square rules are great to have around the shop. Love the 24" in my combination square for larger work. The blemished rigid rulers are great too, 6", 12" and 24" are never far from the bench.

I have ordered some the "scary sharp" sets to try and ordered some CMT saw blades from them.

I was pleased in the speed of shipment and quality of product I received.

I ordered a couple of Pec Blem 4" double squares from Taylor tools a couple of months back. On both of them the ends of the rule was not square to the blade, so I returned them. They promptly reimbursed me.
    I then ordered one 4" Pec Blem from Harry Epstein. It is square and I'm keeping it.

There were other differences - I couldn't tighten the locking nut very well on the Taylor Tools squares but I can do this easily on the Harry Epstein square.
    The Taylor Tools had blue paint, the Epstein square is black.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    I ordered a couple of Pec Blem 4" double squares from Taylor tools a couple of months back. On both of them the ends of the rule was not square to the blade, so I returned them. They promptly reimbursed me.
    I then ordered one 4" Pec Blem from Harry Epstein. It is square and I'm keeping it.

There were other differences - I couldn't tighten the locking nut very well on the Taylor Tools squares but I can do this easily on the Harry Epstein square.
    The Taylor Tools had blue paint, the Epstein square is black.
    I have a 4” double square PEC second from Harry that sort of locks tight - except when it doesn’t. I don’t think your experience is necessarily indicative of a quality difference in the PEC seconds from the two sites, but I’m glad you found one that works.

Mine does work, but I can still slide the blade a bit after it is “locked.” Seems accurate though and gets used all the time.

I bought a bevel gauge, marking guage, and double sided tape. Everything has been as advertised. But when I lost a screw to the marking guage, they wouldn't sell me a replacement. That's not unexpected, or unfair, but higher end toolmakers would definitely sell or just give replacement parts like screws.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    I bought a bevel gauge, marking guage, and double sided tape. Everything has been as advertised. But when I lost a screw to the marking guage, they wouldn't sell me a replacement. That's not unexpected, or unfair, but higher end toolmakers would definitely sell or just give replacement parts like screws.
    When Taylor Tools orders a case of marking gauges from wherever they are made they get a case of gauges only, no replacement parts. When you purchase a marking gauge from Glenn Drake, you can find his phone number, call, talk to him and likely have him express his gratitude for your purchase and doing what it takes to get you a replacement. Somethings are worth a little more up front, if only for what might happen a few years down the road.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)