Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodness it's expensive!

Goodness it's expensive!

I will never be a complete neander but I will admit over the last 2 years I have begun purchasing and using more hand tools.

A couple years ago I took a hand plane restoration class taught by Rob Cosman in the Spokane WoodCraft store. If I learned nothing else in that class, it was the value of sharpening hand planes and of course, chisels. I have been using a set of Craftsman chisels for that I bought over 40 years ago in a Chicago area Sears store and frankly the steel is just too soft. Yes, they sharpen easily and no they don't last too long when in use. Until now, the only sharpening I did was on my WorkSharp 3000.

2 years ago I posted maybe my first post in the Neander forum requesting recommendations for chisels. I finally decided on a Veritas 1" PM-11 chisel and it's been a fine tool. However, as a meer amateur woodworker learning daily, I can't justify that expense for every chisel. Thus, I have been researching high and low and today I ordered a 4 chisel set of Narex Richter chisels from Leigh Valley along with a deluxe Veritas honing guide kit, a leather tool roll, and a magnifying LED bench lamp.

From other sources I ordered a DMT DiaFlat 95 lapping stone, a bench leather strop, stropping compound, a 1000 grit, 4,000 grit and 8,000 grit Shapton glass stone, a stone holder and a silicon dog bowl mat.

If I have forgotten or left out any necessary items, please tell me but be advised I don't know if I'll be able to afford it in 2021.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-02-2021 at 5:14 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

A small spray bottle to wet the stones.
    A small bucket to wash the slurry off the stones.
    Lots of old t-shirts or other rags to wipe off the chisels
    And the good news - They are all free (or close to free)

I have heard nothing but good things about those chisels.

What else do you need to sharpen? Touch question, but it looks like you nailed most of the things.

I might have suggested that you start first with sand paper just because it is cheaper up front, but those are nice stones.

You ordered Glass stones. I assume that you did NOT order the High Carbon versions.

1000 - Excellent for everything but not recommended for Scissors or Straight Razors.

4000 - Listed as Excellent or Good for pretty much everything!

8000 - Listed as Excellent or Good for pretty much everything!

I use a 16000 but I do not strop usually. Do you have a strop?

Consider at least reading about the Unicorn method.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    ... If I have forgotten or left out any necessary items, ....
    You've picked good stuff that is good value and should serve you well. We could quibble over details and discuss whether you could have found more value, but it'd be picking nits and probably wouldn't have changed your total much.

As far as other stuff, it depends on what you're going to be doing. Ron has some good suggestions, though I'd argue you don't even need a spray bottle I find a squeeze bottle (like the catsup / mustard bottles at a diner) works fine and might be cheaper and more compact.

Also some oil or grease to keep rust at bay is helpful. I find Jojoba oil works very well, though it's gotten trendy and the price has gone up (around here at least.) Last I checked the big bottle from Lie-Nielsen was the cheapest per ounce, though smaller bottles to try aren't too bad and seem to be in the organic beauty products aisle, Trader Joe's being cheaper than Whole Foods around here. It's said other medium weight oils work too, though I don't have experience. I guess Mutton Tallow is traditional, but imagining the smell makes me unwilling to try it. To apply the oil/grease there seems to be two camps. The rag, (dubbed the "Super Woobie" by Christopher Schwarz), with a micro-fiber cloth working well, or the oil pot, (a Japanese tradition, described here by Stan Covington and others,) or grease pot (more English tradition, described here too.) I'm sure any works well, but the oil soaked rag is very simple, easy, and effective.
    Last edited by David Bassett; 02-02-2021 at 3:16 PM. Reason: spelling's hard. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post

What else do you need to sharpen? Touch question, but it looks like you nailed most of the things.

I might have suggested that you start first with sand paper just because it is cheaper up front, but those are nice stones.

You ordered Glass stones. I assume that you did NOT order the High Carbon versions.

1000 - Excellent for everything but not recommended for Scissors or Straight Razors.

I ordered a bench strop from Sharpening Supplies.
    Ken

Ken - all of the chisels I use are Narex: bench, mortise and skewed. On the whole, I'm happy with them, but they seem to need touching up often, but then I'm usually pounding them into quarter sawn white oak, which I guess would take a toll on any chisel. I use diamond stones and a quick rub on them takes about a minute and I'm back at it. For the price they are excellent IMHO. Hope you like them.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I will never be a complete neander but I will admit over the last 2 years I have begun purchasing and using more hand tools.

A couple years ago I took a hand plane restoration class taught by Rob Cosman in the Spokane WoodCraft store. If I learned nothing else in that class, it was the value of sharpening hand planes and of course, chisels. I have been using a set of Craftsman chisels for that I bought over 40 years ago in a Chicago area Sears store and frankly the steel is just too soft. Yes, they sharpen easily and no they don't last too long when in use. Until now, the only sharpening I did was on my WorkSharp 3000.

2 years ago I posted maybe my first post in the Neander forum requesting recommendations for chisels. I finally decided on a Veritas 1" PM-11 chisel and it's been a fine tool. However, as a mere amateur woodworker learning daily, I can't justify that expense for every chisel. Thus, I have been researching high and low and today I ordered a 4 chisel set of Narex Richter chisels from Leigh Valley along with a deluxe Veritas honing guide kit, a leather tool roll, and a magnifying LED bench lamp.

From other sources I ordered a DMT DiaFlat 95 lapping stone, a bench leather strop, stropping compound, a 1000 grit, 4,000 grit and 8,000 grit Shapton glass stone, a stone holder and a silicon dog bowl mat.

If I have forgotten or left out any necessary items, please tell me but be advised I don't know if I'll be able to afford it in 2021.
    Send me your "Wish list" I'm thinning the herd.

Blog Entries
    You might consider an automotive floor mat to help contain the mess on the surface used.

3 Pack Boot Tray.png

These can be had cheap. Mine is rubber and has a ribbed surface to contain the excess water.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    You might consider an automotive floor mat to help contain the mess on the surface used.

3 Pack Boot Tray.png

These can be had cheap. Mine is rubber and has a ribbed surface to contain the excess water.

Jim, I ordered this silicon dog food mat.
    https://www.amazon.com/Eterish-Silic...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
    Ken

I use half of an old yoga mat that someone threw away.

Just a comment about woodworking being expensive. That's what I encountered when I first got started in woodworking. There was so much to buy and it was expensive. Lie Nielsen hand planes were just way outside my financial means.

Now, almost 20 years later, I've accumulated the tools that I need and use. I made some mistakes in my early purchases but sold them off and moved on. Just go slowly and buy only what you need and will use. Eventually you'll get a full kit.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post

I ordered the HR version not meant for high carbon.

I will read about the Unicorn method but traditionally I go without for extended periods of time while I pick the brains of others until I have gleaned enough knowledge to make a decision. Then when I have an idea of what I need to go about something in a practical fashion, I buy what I need. Nothing irritates me more than to get into something and have to stop or not be able to finish a process or project finding I didn't have everything I needed. Before retiring my profession required I plan thoroughly a project, ordering all the special tools and test equipment into a location before beginning a planned event or recovering from an unplanned disaster.

That being said, I will read about the Unicorn method.
    Ken

I have a dedicated screwdriver for use with plane iron/chipbrekaker screws and my honing guide. It sits next to the sharpening station.
    And a cleaning brush and Barkeepers Friend for the flattening plate.
    And a whole lot of blue shop towels.

About the Unicorn method, it will make your sharpening much easier and faster, and the edges more durable. Here's a video I made about it: https://vimeo.com/444232624

The buffing wheel kit I used in the video costs $10 from Home Depot, and you can mount it on a drill.

The latest issue of Popular Woodworking has an article about the method which David Weaver, Bill Tindall, and I wrote.

Derek Cohen has also written about it:
    http://inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTec...ornMethod.html

And here's a much more in-depth article written by David:
    http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/r...cles_958.shtml
    Last edited by Winston Chang; 02-02-2021 at 5:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Chang View Post
    About the Unicorn method, it will make your sharpening much easier and faster, and the edges more durable. Here's a video I made about it: https://vimeo.com/444232624

The buffing wheel kit I used in the video costs $10 from Home Depot, and you can mount it on a drill.

The latest issue of Popular Woodworking has an article about the method which David Weaver, Bill Tindall, and I wrote.

Derek Cohen has also written about it:
    http://inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTec...ornMethod.html

And here's a much more in-depth article written by David:
    http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/r...cles_958.shtml
    Hadn't seen that video Winston - it is excellent. Thank you.

I encourage folks to put WTB (wanted to buy threads) in the for sale section. I am not the only user here who has some tools I use, umm, significantly less often then others. I am not a hoarder, but I have some tool steel sitting around too nice to donate to my local blacksmith.

I also keep a close eye on the for sale section, I am far enough into the rabbit hole the things I still want usually get snapped up in two hours or less in that area, but I read all the wanteds when I have time to do so.

I have one Narex thing, very happy with it for the price. A marking knife.