Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much do you "step up" grits?

The more grits you use, the more likely you are to round over the bevel. I use as few grits as possible. I hollow grind the primary bevel on the Tormek and then sharpen a secondary bevel free hand on a 4000 grit water stone; after that it goes for a quick strop on the Tormek's leather wheel. I touch up the secondary bevel on the water stone and strop as needed. Touch ups are about 30-40 seconds on the stone, and about 15 seconds on the strop. When the secondary bevel gets big enough that it irritates me how long it takes to sharpen, I redo the primary bevel. Note that this assumes the back has already been flattened and polished near the edge.

Woodworkers tend to think that the harder and more time consuming something is, the better it must be. Usually the opposite is true. The faster and simpler your sharpening routine is, the more likely and more often you are to use it. Heck in one of Tage Frid's books, he shows how to sharpen a chisel on a stationary belt sander and hone on a powered buffing wheel. Two steps and about 40 seconds total.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    The more grits you use, the more likely you are to round over the bevel.

Woodworkers tend to think that the harder and more time consuming something is, the better it must be.
    Those are two contrary opinions with which I must agree.

Just like my kitchen exploits, the less I do to the finished product - the better my results.

As a young man - I wanted a Swiss Army knife with every possible option. As I get further along, I find an Opinel and bottle opener sufficient.