Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Searching for: A small light to affix to an outlet/plug to show if juice is flowing.

You all are terrific with all the input - thank you all again so much.

I thought about that vacuum switch for a while; I was just hoping to not spend so much.

Also, the system does have an alarm - a separate float that is connected to the down tube and run onto a separate circuit in the house (the alarm sounds in the garage). That is great, but I was hoping to get some more advanced notice if the pump was not successfully functioning before the point at which the existing alarm goes off (it doesn't sound until the tank is already relatively full). I am thinking if I can affix some type of simple indicator light to see that the pump is turning on and off regularly (rather than remaining on continuously; or off continuously) then I would have a bit more notice that there's a problem.

I'm going to start out by buying a few inexpensive components already mentioned in this thread - like the little cube multiplier in Charlie's post, which I will plug in to the float plug; and then into that little cube I'll plug both the pump and a small exterior-rated light fixture. I just ordered a few items from Amazon which should arrive tomorrow so I can try it out.

Thank you all again for the input; I greatly appreciate it.

Hopefully this is all for naught and the system continues to function through this cold spell, though every forecast indicates it will be fairly protracted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Michaels View Post
    You all are terrific with all the input - thank you all again so much.

I thought about that vacuum switch for a while; I was just hoping to not spend so much.

Also, the system does have an alarm - a separate float that is connected to the down tube and run onto a separate circuit in the house (the alarm sounds in the garage). That is great, but I was hoping to get some more advanced notice if the pump was not successfully functioning before the point at which the existing alarm goes off (it doesn't sound until the tank is already relatively full). I am thinking if I can affix some type of simple indicator light to see that the pump is turning on and off regularly (rather than remaining on continuously; or off continuously) then I would have a bit more notice that there's a problem.

I'm going to start out by buying a few inexpensive components already mentioned in this thread - like the little cube multiplier in Charlie's post, which I will plug in to the float plug; and then into that little cube I'll plug both the pump and a small exterior-rated light fixture. I just ordered a few items from Amazon which should arrive tomorrow so I can try it out.

Thank you all again for the input; I greatly appreciate it.

Hopefully this is all for naught and the system continues to function through this cold spell, though every forecast indicates it will be fairly protracted.
    Most alarms like that can be adjusted. Lowering the sensor on the down tube may solve your problem.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Velasquez View Post
    Most alarms like that can be adjusted. Lowering the sensor on the down tube may solve your problem.

Yep - that's going to be put on the "when the weather improves" project list.

Radio shack used to sell a power strip that plugged into the wall. It had one port that the power tool plugged into. When that port had power flowing out it switched on power to several other outlets. i am sure someone makes similar today.
    Bill D.

Something like this would work. Fancier then you need. Is it enough amps?

https://consumersenergy.amcgmarketpl...g-power-strip/
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 02-09-2021 at 11:33 PM.

After reading this, I may take this approach with my system.

I recently went through a similar situation as the OP. My pump died and I had to replace it.

I have a 3 tank septic system, with the pump in the final tank. Buried next to the final tank is the electrical hook up box where the pump, pump float switch and fill alarm all connect. This is located about 30ft away from the house in my back lawn.

On top of the tank, that contains the pump, is a heavy duty plastic lid.

So I'm thinking I can mount a flush light receptacle in the plastic lid and connect it to the plug side that triggers the pump, i.e. the pump turns on, the light comes on.

Maybe something like this
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082GQQLB6...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 02-10-2021 at 3:32 PM.

Hook it up so every time the light comes on a treat falls to the ground for cats/dogs, birds. Soon they will be trained and will tell when they get hungry because the pump is not working. Ever considered an hour meter?
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Michaels View Post
    I'm going to start out by buying a few inexpensive components already mentioned in this thread - like the little cube multiplier in Charlie's post, which I will plug in to the float plug; and then into that little cube I'll plug both the pump and a small exterior-rated light fixture. I just ordered a few items from Amazon which should arrive tomorrow so I can try it out. ......
    If everything functions as hoped, you may want to look for a colored LED that fits your fixture. I like red. That wavelength is easier filtered by your eyelids and people won't notice it when sleeping. Might be easier to distinguish during the day.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

location is not given so I will assume Las Vegas. Therefore he should use a neon strobe arrow pointing down for every flush.
    Bill d.

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/c...eon-arrow-sign