Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust Collector Recommendation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dust Collector Recommendation

I've been looking at the Oneida 5HP Cyclone Dust Collector. Does anyone have any feedback or recommendations for another brand? Thanks for your help.

While I'm a big fan of Oneida and an Oneida owner, Clearvue is also worthy of consideration. I'm personally preferential to metal so for CV, it would have to be the new blue metal one they sell if I were considering them. But that's just me.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I also like metal over plastic. I looked at both the Oneida and the Grizzly G0442 5HP and went with the Grizzly based on cost and the fact that I have a number of other Grizzly tools. I've been happy with my cyclone. Grizzly has trouble keeping them in stock though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    While I'm a big fan of Oneida and an Oneida owner, Clearvue is also worthy of consideration. I'm personally preferential to metal so for CV, it would have to be the new blue metal one they sell if I were considering them. But that's just me.
    I've been window shopping cyclone DCs lately and liked what I saw at Clearvue. Didn't remember the blue steel version until I went back to take a look. When I saw it was $1K more than the next model, I remembered why I forgot.

There is a video of a guy who bought one of the plastic models. He ran 8" DWV pipe throughout his shop, connected his machines to the system and ran some tests. Dust collection was quite impressive.

Plus, with the clear cyclone, your kids or grandkids can watch the cyclone in action! And with that $1K you saved, you can take them out for ice cream, a whole bunch of times.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Yes, the Clearvue can be entertaining if it's visible...but in my shop, the cyclone is in a sound deadened closet (and will be in any future shop, too) so the pretty swirling show is out of sight...and out of mind. The latter sometimes resulting in what Andrew mentioned. LOL
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    I've been window shopping cyclone DCs lately and liked what I saw at Clearvue. Didn't remember the blue steel version until I went back to take a look. When I saw it was $1K more than the next model, I remembered why I forgot.

There is a video of a guy who bought one of the plastic models. He ran 8" DWV pipe throughout his shop, connected his machines to the system and ran some tests. Dust collection was quite impressive.

Plus, with the clear cyclone, your kids or grandkids can watch the cyclone in action! And with that $1K you saved, you can take them out for ice cream, a whole bunch of times.
    Oneida is too expensive for me I don't think there will enough appreciable difference b/t them and Clear Vue to warrant the expense.

I don’t know if Clear Vue is still made in America. I know mine was. About 20 years ago I watched Ed Magano heating the plastic in a kitchen range! Mine has performed beautifully. It is even better since I got rid of the filters and started blowing outside. Great product.
    Charlie Jones

According to its website, Clearvue cyclones are "proudly made in the USA!"
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Blog Entries
    I've been looking at the Harvey G700. It is listed at $2,390 right now with $329 shipping. For my small shop it is a lot to spend.

I don't know if that may be of interest but it is a different solution than the typical dust collector designs.

https://www.harveywoodworking.com/pr...saAmokEALw_wcB

Does anyone have an opinion on the Southbend models that Grizzly is now selling? I like the sound panels, flow meter, and everything on wheels. Also quite compact and seems like a lot of collector for the money. I like the 3 HP model. I don't think I have the need for 5 HP. I'm a one man, one machine at a time shop. Not buying yet, but planning for when I move to a new shop in a couple of years.

I'm a very happy owner of a 5HP Oneida. Works great, even with a long run to a wide belt sander.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    Does anyone have an opinion on the Southbend models that Grizzly is now selling? I like the sound panels, flow meter, and everything on wheels. Also quite compact and seems like a lot of collector for the money. I like the 3 HP model. I don't think I have the need for 5 HP. I'm a one man, one machine at a time shop. Not buying yet, but planning for when I move to a new shop in a couple of years.
    I doubt there's any real experience on these units since they were literally just put in the catalog...if they will provide a fan curve, then the unit can be evaluated with some level of objectivity. Without that, it's a guessing game relative to performance.
    --

...if they will provide a fan curve, ...
    It's in the manual:

SB1099.jpg
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

David, that's good to see that they are including the fan curve. Not many mass-marketers do.
    --

David, that's good to see that they are including the fan curve. Not many mass-marketers do.
    All of the Grizzly cyclone manuals I've looked at have performance curves on the last page of the System Design section, just before the Grounding section.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.