Thread: Is this Delta 46-700 lathe okay to use?

Is this Delta 46-700 lathe okay to use?

B0030194-D54E-4B3F-854D-4BC9CF268A64.jpegI am an experienced woodworker but new to turning. I purchased a Delta 46-700 lathe from a woodworker moving out off state last summer and as my shop was under construction I had to store the lathe in a locker until a few weeks ago. I recently tested the lathe and noticed that it seems to run okay at slower speeds but as it speeds up to higher speeds it starts to clatter, possibly metal rubbing. I made a short video to show what I’m experiencing although the high speed sound is somewhat muted on the video. It seems to start clatter about halfway to fast.
    Perhaps someone with experience with this model can offer some insight on whether repairs are needed.
    Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Don Buck
    Williamsburg, VA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]If you first don't succeed, TRY, TRY AGAIN...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Buck View Post
    B0030194-D54E-4B3F-854D-4BC9CF268A64.jpegI am an experienced woodworker but new to turning. I purchased a Delta 46-700 lathe from a woodworker moving out off state last summer and as my shop was under construction I had to store the lathe in a locker until a few weeks ago. I recently tested the lathe and noticed that it seems to run okay at slower speeds but as it speeds up to higher speeds it starts to clatter, possibly metal rubbing. I made a short video to show what I’m experiencing although the high speed sound is somewhat muted on the video. It seems to start clatter about halfway to fast.
    Perhaps someone with experience with this model can offer some insight on whether repairs are needed.
    Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.
    To use? Yes. BUT the reeves drive pulleys are not working correctly and are binding. You have to take it apart and get grease on the shaft so the pulley halves slide back and forth when you move the control. If you try to repair them, the most often result is broken parts because the pulley halves are cheap pot metal and very brittle. You can't get replacement parts from Delta. Many people buy Grizzly parts to replace them.

Thanks for info. It may be best not to invest much in this lathe. It might serve its purpose as a learning tool but I’ll be prepared to upgrade if I get hooked on turning.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]If you first don't succeed, TRY, TRY AGAIN...