Thread: Walnut Dining Table

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Walnut Dining Table

My dining room set is one of the last remaining pieces of furniture that i havent replaced with my own creations. That changed in the new year. I was fortunate enough to pick up some 8/4 walnut slabs and one 12/4 slab for $1/bdft in the fall. The wood was nothing to write home about, but it was enough for this table. I knew i wanted something a little different from what ive previously made. In fact, this is my first live edge piece for myself. The table legs are made of 12/4 and joined with dominos. Gluing up the 5 pieces post-shaping was a little tricky, but i made it work with some jigs and scrap blocks. Finally, the bases are attached via a through a wedged through tenon. The wedges are an ebony turning blank that i resawed. This is my first wedged through tenon, which lead to a ton of fiddling to get the fits right. Overall, i like the function of this joinery really well. It has a tight fit, but the pieces slide into place without too much force. Breaking the table down into a few separate pieces is enormously helpful in my small home. Final measurements are about 65-66" long, 36-42" wide and 30" tall.

Lastly, i need to make some chairs for the thing! I plan on undertaking a pair of maloof lowbacks, which i think will somewhat jive with the base of the table.
    Attached Images Attached Images