Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Tablesaw has a mustache!

My Tablesaw has a mustache!

...Actually I gave it one!

I thought I'd share this dust collection tip: My homemade overarm guard also serves as an overarm dust hood. However, since dust and chips spin tangentially off the blade, the dust and chips would find its way under the front of the guard and into my belly, especially at the end of a cut. So I added a simple piece of doorsweep that is available at any hardware store. I used one by Frost King (R). Just cut it to length and attach. It works extremely well. Here's a pic...

very cool!!! Thanks for sharing your great idea!!!

That is neat. Really good idea.

Jim

Jeff - That is really clever. I suggest you submit it to a couple magazines. I bet you could get some prizes for the best tip.

Good luck and thanks for sharing.

Excellent!

I have the Beis Overarm Guard and my DC sucks uup the front flap. This would likely provide the weight I need to keep that from happening and keep the wood dust from flying at me! I'm heading to the BORG!

Nice work! How about a photo of the complete unit?

Quote Originally Posted by David Clark
    Nice work! How about a photo of the complete unit?
    Looks good, and I agree with David that it would be good to see the whole set up.

Jeffrey, that's a great idea! Thanks for sharing it!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Here are some pics of the entire overarm unit. My first try was loosely based on a Wood Magazine article. However, I found it to be too wobbly, and did not rotate out of the way easily. It was subsequently discarded.

The second try sports a full 4" overarm dust port, as well as the standard 4" dust port on the lower end of the tablesaw. For best results, a 6" duct should serve the entire setup.

The guard can ride over the work, or hover at any set height, or do both because there is a stop that limits the hood's drop. It also swings away easily because the arm incorporates the duct into its design. The hood was sized to incorporate a removable splitter.

No fancy materials were used. Just wood, basic hardware (hatches & hinges), and some aluminum stock from Home Depot. Oh, and also, some coffee cans because they are exactly 4" dia and perfect for flex duct connections.

thanks for the inquiries ....Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Makiel
    ...Actually I gave it one!

I thought I'd share this dust collection tip: My homemade overarm guard also serves as an overarm dust hood. However, since dust and chips spin tangentially off the blade, the dust and chips would find its way under the front of the guard and into my belly, especially at the end of a cut. .
    I used to have sawdust imbed itself during TS operations. Now I wear a leather apron. No more itching from sawdust impregnated shirts.

Coffee cans in a DC set-up???

I'm using coffee cans to build my 6" and 5" blast gates.

(Great minds...)

Jeffrey, that's a GREAT setup! Thanks for posting pictures of the whole thing. 'Very innovative with the hinged folding feature, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mike...make sure you empty the beans first or your shop will smell like Starbucks! And don't be frugal...use french roast!

Jim...thanks for the compliment. I stole the idea all by myself!

Jeff

So now you have three suggestions to submit: moustache, coffee can DC adapters, and the swing arm mod!

Jeff,

This is so nice it needs to be back on the front page.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence