Thread: 90º Bevel for Chisel & Sort of a Gouge

Blog Entries

90º Bevel for Chisel & Sort of a Gouge

A month or two ago someone posted a link to a video of someone grinding a chisel and a gouge flat to a 90º bevel.

Tried this on one of my least expensive 1/2" chisels and have been very impressed with its versatility.

There are not many gouges in my accumulation that are duplicates. Yesterday while rummaging through some junk there was an old steel roller from a long extinct card reader. These were hardened from end to end. The light bulb went blink and off to the grinder it went.

It was actually impressive in use which made another light bulb go blink. There is a bunch of hardened drill blanks in my shop. Thos would also be good candidates for 90º bevel gouges.

Here is the two so far:

90º Bevel Tools.jpg

Anyone else give 90º bevels a try?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim,

I have several 90* bevel chisels, good for fine work.

ken

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Jim,

I have several 90* bevel chisels, good for fine work.

ken
    Hi Ken,

My flat chisel seems to leave an almost polished surface on some work. Who'd a thunk it?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim,

It's a scraper for places you can't get a scraper to fit and a scraper that doesn't need thumbs . I first saw one used by a English woodworker, I believe Jim K. (can't remember his last name).

ken

Bill Carter, the plane maker, has been promoting those for years as scrapers. Check out his videos! -Howard