Thread: Grizzly G0586 8" jointer

Grizzly G0586 8" jointer

I have changed the blades many times over the last 10+ years. I took out the springs and use a wider blade. I use the little jig that came with it. set the blade adjust the screws and use a feeler gauge to determine correct height. Not had any problems getting flat stock. Did the same thing this last time. I have a new stock of quarter sawn white oak that's been in the shop environment 3-4 months now. I'm having a problem getting boards flat. I'm getting a lot of movement after I joint one face and edge. I reviewed procedures for stacking and letting them acclimate and taking equal amounts off both faces at the planer, after getting a parallel side. All the lumber came from one supplier in one bin, if you will. Is it possible I got a load of lumber that just had a lot of internal stresses, even for quarter sawn oak? Could it be an issue with the jointer blade set up? I've reviewed my technique at the jointer, wax the tables.

Thanks for any thoughts. Brian
    Brian

Is it flat when it comes off the machine. I recently had a concave face issue with the jointer and i had to adjust the outfeed by an almost immeasurable amount and it fixed it.

If they are flat off the machine it is wood, if they are not it is set up.

The Byrd spiral head I purchased for the jointer was one of the best purchases I ever made. Probably not relevant to this specific issue but way worth it.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Chritz View Post
    Is it flat when it comes off the machine. I recently had a concave face issue with the jointer and i had to adjust the outfeed by an almost immeasurable amount and it fixed it.

If they are flat off the machine it is wood, if they are not it is set up.

The Byrd spiral head I purchased for the jointer was one of the best purchases I ever made. Probably not relevant to this specific issue but way worth it.

Joe
    Thanks Brian
    Brian