Thread: Nakashima Walnut Desk with a Twist

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Nakashima Walnut Desk with a Twist

Buiding a walnut desk roughly 28 x65".
    It will have a drawer pedestal at one end and two rustic pieces of an unknown wood as legs at the other end.
    The top is already joined from three boards with some sapwood on the front and rear and a natural front edge.
    The two, leg pieces are pieces shown in their approximate orientation that will be perpendicular to the length of the desk.
    Another picture shows one side piece for the pedestal. The two boards in the other picture are for the drawer fronts and the rear of the pedestal.
    The picture of a real Nakashima coffee table is included to help clarify what I might do with the legs.

I would appreciate suggestions on how to attach the legs to the top and what to do with them at the floor.
    My thought at this point is to screw or dowel single, 4/4 walnut board across the tops of the two legs. That board would then be screwed into the desktop.
    For the bottoms of the legs, I am thinking, maybe, cutting a dado into the center of the end of each leg and running a 5/4 arched, walnut board between them. The dado would deep enough to allow the legs to wrap over the walnut board but maybe not contact the floor.
    The board would extend another 6 or 8" past each leg.

I hope that is clear enough for you to tell me what you think or suggest a better approach. And tell me if Nakashima is rolling in his grave.

These are the legs.
    Desk Legs.jpg

A Nakashima base configuration. The wide board between the two legs would not be part of my design
    and the board connecting the two legs would not extend so far past the legs.
    Nakashima example.jpg

The top waiting for the other parts.
    Desk top.jpg

One side for the pedestal
    Pedestal side.jpg

For pedestal drawer fronts and pedestal rear.
    Pedestal front and rear.jpg
    Last edited by Ron Kanter; 02-23-2021 at 4:57 PM.