Thread: Headboard project

Headboard project

I'm a serious nube to woodworking. I've only got a few projects under my belt. Anyway, my mother-in-law wanted a new headboard so I decided to do one for her 50th birthday which is today. I didn't get it completed, but enough was done to show her.

Anyway, I thought I'd post pics to see if anybody had any feedback on the design. I've never used plans, and just relied on my original design. Hopefully it won't fall apart.

It's made out of pine. I had to laminate 1" stock to get the thickness I wanted. I messed up the first header I cut. The second time around I printed out the design from the computer, used that to cut a template, roughed the piece out with a scroll saw and finished it with the template on the router table using a flush cut bit and bearing. The shell applique I bought online at Architectural Depot.

Anyway, I'll post finished pics later.

Detail shot of tenon and rabbet:

Rabbet for the inner paneling:

Overall shot to this point:

Last edited by Randall Kline; 11-25-2005 at 3:23 PM.

Looks like it is coming along nicely. Good work.

Richard

Randall that is going to look mighty fine when done. Pretty cool for no plans.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Randall,

That is a work of art. I really like the design and I have always been a fan of pine. It is so warm and homey to us. I think you have done an excellent job on it and hope you will post pictures of the finished project and one when you present it to her as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Looks good so far Randall. It looks like the panels are tongue and groove, if that is the case I would pre finish them so any shrinkage will not show bare wood. I am hoping that you are not glueing the panels in the grooves right? Keep it up. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mc Mahon
    Looks good so far Randall. It looks like the panels are tongue and groove, if that is the case I would pre finish them so any shrinkage will not show bare wood. I am hoping that you are not glueing the panels in the grooves right? Keep it up. Peter
    Thanks for the reminder Peter! And thanks to all for your comments. It's really encouraging. When working on a piece it's hard for me to see it with fresh eyes, and all I see are the defects. I'll certainly post more pics. Now I'm custom routing/cutting the trim work for the posts.

Moulding pics

I wanted to do some detail moulding around the support posts for the headboard. I went out to a couple supply places and found that to buy the moulding I wanted would have cost around $50! I wasn't about to pay that for moulding, and I figured I'm an aspiring wood worker so why not make my own. I took a look at what I had left from the project, and decided I could make my own moulding from the left overs (not the kind of molding occuring on the Thanksgiving left overs mind you ). Below are some pics of the result. It's not perfect, but it's cheap!

This miter I was able to cut the entire length of a 51" strip for every corner piece. I love my tablesaw.

Detail shot:

This is an overall shot of one side.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Noles
    Randall,

That is a work of art. I really like the design and I have always been a fan of pine. It is so warm and homey to us. I think you have done an excellent job on it and hope you will post pictures of the finished project and one when you present it to her as well.

Thanks for sharing.
    Here ends my fourth woodworking project. The goal was a nautical design with matching nightstands and armoir in the future.

Here's a couple of pics. My Mother-in-Law is shy and didn't want me to post a pic with her in it. The pictures are a little crooked, but the headboard is perfectly square.

In this pic I was trying to get a shot with a colored background, but my cat insisted on getting in on the action. What a ham!

Here's a pic of it installed in their bedroom:

Randall, that really looks sharp. The contrast in your finish really works nicely on this piece, too. The matching pieces you (will) make should really set things off!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice job. Randall. I agree with Jim...the contrast works well. I'm sure Mom-In-Law is very pleased.

- Vaughn

Thanks

Thanks for your comments. When I'm drawing out a design I never know what it's going to look like in the real world. Mom-in-law was definitely pleased. I'm looking forward to doing the rest.