Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Received new Grizzly lathe – should I complain?

I learned the hard way what can happen if you accept an item that was damaged in shipment. If an item is damaged while in transit, (generally) the shipper is liable to the seller for those damages. If you accept the item, the shipper is relieved of any liability. Obviously, that can cost the seller a lot of money if they replace the damaged item. Paint scratches, dings, and similar damage are, generally, not covered under warranty. Unless the seller is willing to go the extra-mile-and-one-half, you can be left with a damage item with no recourse against either the seller or the shipper.

I'm NOT saying Grizzly would leave one of its customers in such a lurch. I'm saying assuming responsibility for damage in shipment is not something all sellers are willing to do. And, if you think about it, you might understand that reluctance. The best way to avoid this issue is to open and inspect items before accepting delivery.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by David Walser View Post
    I'm NOT saying Grizzly would leave one of its customers in such a lurch.
    The Grizzly customer service rep sounded like they will do what they can to satisfy me. I had to use their customer service on a purchase a few years ago and they sent me a replacement part immediately. I'm optimistic that they'll come through.

3. Quote Originally Posted by David Bolson View Post
    The Grizzly customer service rep sounded like they will do what they can to satisfy me. I had to use their customer service on a purchase a few years ago and they sent me a replacement part immediately. I'm optimistic that they'll come through.

Grizzly is known for trying to satisfy their customers, especially with new equipment under the warranty period, which would be the case for you here.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

If the outside of the crate isn't damaged then it's not really the fault of the shipper. In this case it looks like a guy in China didn't secure it as well as they should. As it was being shipped the loose parts were moving. I don't think I've ever unboxed an item that the box wasn't damaged before signing to accept it. I doubt it was reboxed and set back out like that since Grizzly has a dent and scratch sale every so often.

You had posted: "the headstock handwheel is so small. Any ideas to put something larger there?" My handwheel is about 3-1/4" OD. For me that seems perfect.

When I got my G0766 several years ago, I wasn't satisfied with the spindle threads. I think that they ended up getting one specially machined for me. When everything was over, they sent me a voucher for $100. That put a smile on my face.

I'm hoping that they just send you a new bed and banjo. Yes, it is probably just cosmetic, but there is the expectation of a new lathe owner to expect to get something without a lot of defects.

Come back and let us know when they resolve your issue.

On the headstock handwheel, I also think it is smaller than ideal. but after using it for quite awhile I realized it was sufficient. However, I was lucky enough to get one of the last vacuum chuck adapter kits from jtturningtools before poor Tom passed away. That kit comes with a nice headstock handwheel. I'm betting you could get a bigger one made by a machinist, if you wished. Just take him the old handwheel and a photo or two.

Good luck let us know the outcome, I finally purchased a Laguna a couple of weeks earlier, and it was packed really nice, you should get new looking,. ifyou pay new price

Personally I could live with the paint issues, the damage to the bed is a no.

Is there an update to this situation?
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    Is there an update to this situation?
    In the last week I’ve talked to another couple of reps who were very accommodating and apologetic and promised a new lathe bed, banjo, tool rest, knockout bar (mine was bent) and some paint. That being said, as far as I know, nothing has shipped yet. I’m expecting a good result; it just hasn’t happened yet.

David

Did they have it in stock? Even if they do I'm not sure if the bed can be shipped by UPS or FedEx. At least it sounds like Grizzly is going to make it right. I assume they don't want the damaged parts back. If so unless you have to do something special, like arrange for help, I would put the lathe together (if you haven't already) and get some time on it. It's been a very long road for you to get it so you might as well enjoy it now and then when at your leisure swap the bed.

Headstock was loose on mine too. Caused much damage and frustration, including being forever banned from contacting Grizzly. No time for Grizzly, have machine and carbide tools and am not allowed to order parts

I believe I'd let the customer rep know you didn't buy a lathe and expect to rebuild the whole thing. With them sending about 1/2 a lathe in parts, I'd tell them that you would prefer a new machine.

Unfortunately , in my opinion, situations like this happen far to frequently with Grizzly products......

My GO766 arrived perfect. I would complain if I were you
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson