Thread: Small Tool Chest Build and Intro

Small Tool Chest Build and Intro

I've been lurking and learning here for a while a figured it was past due for me to post. I've been woodworking with just hand tools for the past few years, and have picked up a lot of tips from everyone here, so thanks everyone who shares their knowledge.

With all the work from home stuff, I needed/wanted a small tool chest to keep all my soldering and electronics repair stuff organized. So I built a very simple two drawer chest kind of inspired by older machinist style tool chests like gerstners.

Every project I pick I try to focus on something new. This was the first time I did a mitered frame and panel, and my first time trying basic veneering. So the lid is mitered with a veneered captive panel and a few chamfers and scratched beads for decoration.
    I also tried to make myself not plan out much for this and just started building with whatever size offcuts I had. Not planning or drawing lead to a few issues, but I think I covered them up fairly well.

The case is all cherry with through dovetails. Part way through I realized the end grain of the sides would show from the front, so the drawer fronts have a sort of inset halfblind dovetail to cover it. The edges are thinner than I would like, but I already thicknessed the drawer fronts and needed enough meat for the dovetails. It won't get used to heavily so should hold up fine.

I'd love to hear feedback or tips on what could be better.

smalltoolchest1.jpgsmalltoolchest2.jpg

Well, if your wife sees this, you will have make another one. Good looking tool chest.
    Joe

Very impressive looking to my eye --a classic design well executed.

Rob,

Nicely done!

Stew

Welcome Rob! Glad you've joined us!

That's a very nice chest! I like the grain and contrasting color in the top. The chest looks graceful when closed. Just a very nice, very practical piece.

I keep wanting to build a Gerstner style chest, though I have no need nor space for it. Yours is tempting.......
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Hi Rob and even though you have been lurking for a few years, welcome to the Creek.

A nice looking tools chest.

How is the fabric attached and what did you use?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Rob, very nicely done. Great wood choices...very nice piece of veneer. I like the bead detail a lot. And if you’re interested in more compliments, the dovetails looks crisp, the drawers look great, and you did an excellent job on the hinges...not always the easiest thing to do.

The only, and I mean only area to focus in the future is a couple of the miters. Miters were invented by the devil himself and making all four perfect is the bane of all woodworkers. I’d be embarrassed to admit how much I’ve spent on miter boxes, shooting boards, shooting planes, sanding jigs, etc., to get miters right. Chasing the perfect miters is perhaps a fool’s game, but it’s always fun to try.

Again, great tool box that you should be very proud of.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Hi Rob and even though you have been lurking for a few years, welcome to the Creek.

A nice looking tools chest.

How is the fabric attached and what did you use?

jtk
    The fabric is just a self adhesive felt sheet I had from another small box. Very cheap for a lot of sheets, but it's held up pretty well for things like this. It wasn't quite big enough to cover, so there is a seam running down the middle of drawer.

A really handsome box and wood combination.

All the compliments above are on the mark. Just to give you someplace to get even better here are a couple items.

This is a quick project so your choice of hardware is appropriate, but when you build something better look at some better hardware.

For miters I like to install splines to add strength.