Thread: Mini lathe/grinder bench

Mini lathe/grinder bench

I have a Rikon 70-105 mini lathe, and just purchased a Rikon grinder for sharpening the tools.
    Right now I use my table saw as a stand/bench to set my lathe on. Not the best thing but it works.
    I'm going to build a stand with some kind of mobile base for my lathe. The plan is to build it long enough for the available bed extension.
    Would you recommend building it a bit bigger so I can permanently mount my grinder as well? Has anyone done this and have a few pictures? Other recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jackson Wyoming View Post
    I have a Rikon 70-105 mini lathe, and just purchased a Rikon grinder for sharpening the tools.
    Right now I use my table saw as a stand/bench to set my lathe on. Not the best thing but it works.
    I'm going to build a stand with some kind of mobile base for my lathe. The plan is to build it long enough for the available bed extension.
    Would you recommend building it a bit bigger so I can permanently mount my grinder as well? Has anyone done this and have a few pictures? Other recommendations?
    Hi Jim. What kind of stand did you have in mind? Made of wood or steel?

My personal preference would be to have the grinder on a separate stand or cabinet from the lathe if there is enough space in the shop for a second stand. For one thing the grinder can disperse a lot of grit and steel bits and make a mess. A small cabinet would also allow room for drawers to store grinding jigs and things. If there is room I'd make it big enough to set tools and things on and perhaps add a second grinder some day.

A stand dedicated to the lathe would make it a little more compact as far as moving and positioning it. I have a stand for a Jet mini lathe I use when need to take it somewhere. The stand comes apart quickly into three pieces which is great for fitting the everything into the back of the car. This stand is the factory one made of steel - a friend copied the design and made one for a different lathe - not too difficult if you have access to metal-working tools/welder or have a friend who does.

Do you have a workbench in the shop? When I carry a mini lathe to the shop I set it on a workbench for use - the height is about perfect. I heard of one guy who built a workbench with a large shelf underneath and stored the lathe on the shelf when he wanted to use the bench. If I turned out-of-balance things that made the lathe walk around on the surface I might mount it on a board and clamp the board to the bench.

JKJ

Thanks John. I had about come to the same conclusion yesterday after posting.

I built a base I had intended to mount on the stand with the lathe to attach the grinder to. After dressing the stones and sharpening a few tools I saw the mess I had left and decided I didn't want that getting all over the lathe and anything I happened to be working on at the time. I'll mount it to the work bench when needed, and build a dedicated stand to put the lathe on.

I have the Rikon 70-100 with the bed extension mounted on a fixed bench. The overall length of the lathe and extension is 55". I feel that adding a sharpening station onto the end would make for a rather large mobile platform that might be difficult to move.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I made a simple bench for mini + bed extension with 2x4s and MDF. I kept it narrow, with a lower shelf for materials and weights. I put basic locking swivel casters directly on the legs, so no separate base required.