Thread: Jet JWL-1642 EVS Wood Lathe

Jet JWL-1642 EVS Wood Lathe

Hi, I was interested in this lathe. Not sure if it's the Pro model and the speed control looks different than other Jet models that I've seen like it. Comments?

https: //orangecounty.craigslist.org/tls/d/garden-grove-jet-jwl-1642evs-wood-lathe/7282513176.html
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 03-21-2021 at 12:11 PM.

I have had a Jet 1642 for 15 years, it has served me well. FYI the motor plate on the add indicates this lathe was made in 2005/2006. The control panel is correct for this model.
    Last edited by Dwight Rutherford; 03-21-2021 at 11:02 AM.

I had one of these lathes and really enjoyed it. It has some very nice features. I sold mine in in 2014 for $2000. The same price today seems like it's too much. The motor is dated 6/2008 so the seller probably bought the lathe for about $2000. $1500 would be more reasonable.

I'm 5' 9" tall and this lathe was a little too tall for me. I learned this only after I bought my replacement lathe.

You can do lots of things with this lathe. Around here (Upstate New York) there aren't a lot of lathes this size for sale.

Good luck,
    David

$1,200-$1,400 is a more common selling range just for the lathe. I found one for $1,000. As mentioned, the controls are correct for the time period.

I have a couple of those. Last one I bought used at least 4-5 years ago was $1600.

The 1642 was my first full size lathe. I love it and still have it 14(?) years later. I bought a used PM 3520B and used it for a while but never liked it for a number of reasons. When I bought a new lathe, I sold the PM and kept the 1642. The only thing I liked about the PM was that I was able to sell it for 85% of what I had paid (remember that I had bought it used not new).

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Henrickson View Post
    The 1642 was my first full size lathe. I love it and still have it 14(?) years later. I bought a used PM 3520B and used it for a while but never liked it for a number of reasons. When I bought a new lathe, I sold the PM and kept the 1642. The only thing I liked about the PM was that I was able to sell it for 85% of what I had paid (remember that I had bought it used not new).
    Curious what you didn't like about the 3520b. I have a Jet 1642 and a PM 3520b in my shop and I prefer the PM. I use the Jet as a backup, for certain jigs, and for teaching. The PM has the bed extension.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Curious what you didn't like about the 3520b. I have a Jet 1642 and a PM 3520b in my shop and I prefer the PM. I use the Jet as a backup, for certain jigs, and for teaching. The PM has the bed extension. JKJ
    Difficult to recall specifics – I had the PM for several years, but replaced it over five years ago, so memory has faded. It was general dissatisfaction without obvious, specific, or major complaints, at least in retrospect. Thinking back, its working height may well have been less comfortable for me than the 1642. I added a swingaway to cope with the weight of the PM tailstock (necessary!) and the bed extension as well, although I rarely used the extension. I recovered the costs of those additions when I sold it.

It wasn’t a question of swing. The largest diameter I’ve ever turned is a 15 7/8" bowl – on the 1642, before I had the PM. I did it just to see if I could – started the oversize blank on a faceplate off the end of the bed, with the tool rest between the headstock and the end of the bed, gradually working the blank round, pulling it back over the bed and finally cutting a tenon to mount it in a chuck. “Been there, done that.” I haven’t turned anything that large since, even with the 25" swing on my current lathe. Ironically, much of what I have turned with that lathe recently has been spindles with a maximum diameter of 1"-2". My sister came by once when I happened to be turning a spindle 1" in diameter and less than 4" long. She commented that it seemed disproportionate to the lathe. It was.

Whatever the reasons, I just did not enjoy turning on the PM as much as I did on the Jet. Indeed, the Jet remained set up for almost the entire time I owned the PM, and was used. I don’t think there was any clearly identifiable ‘problem’, just a lack of satisfaction — little things just didn’t feel right and I didn’t enjoy working on it as much as the 1642, or as I do now on my new one. I turn for enjoyment, not for commerce. We were incompatible – we separated and the PM is appreciated in its new home.

When I sold the PM, I decided how much I wanted, and was able to wait until I found a buyer. I could have sold it faster for less. It certainly held its resale value.

Thanks. Did you possibly have had one up on extended adjustable feet? I checked both the 1642 and 3520b in my shop and while the beds are, of course, a couple of inches different, the center of the headstock spindles are within 1/2" of each other. Perhaps the feeling, like many things about woodturning, depends somewhat on the way we turn and what we get used to. I rarely turn green wood bowls anymore, only dry wood and like you a lot of spindles, most quite thin, and lots of other small things. I've made a few "almost" 20" platters but not many. For whatever reason, I enjoy turning and teaching more on the PM although after getting used to it I really like having two lathes in the shop.

I'm glad there are so many different lathe options for us to choose from!

My spare 1642 is in the storage building and have only rarely set it up in the shop for a small class. I probably should sell it or trade for something or give it away, but I keep thinking how handy it would be if the other one should die! Anyway, the 1642 is an excellent lathe.

BTW, you may have seen this - the longest spindle I could fit on the PM, and that was with the bed extension and both the headstock and tailstock partially off ends of the lathe! A new handle from hickory for my favorite shuffle hoe:

handle_shuffle_hoe_comp.jpg

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Henrickson View Post
    Difficult to recall specifics – I had the PM for several years, but replaced it over five years ago, so memory has faded. It was general dissatisfaction without obvious, specific, or major complaints, at least in retrospect. Thinking back, its working height may well have been less comfortable for me than the 1642. I added a swingaway to cope with the weight of the PM tailstock (necessary!) and the bed extension as well, although I rarely used the extension. I recovered the costs of those additions when I sold it.

It wasn’t a question of swing. The largest diameter I’ve ever turned is a 15 7/8" bowl – on the 1642, before I had the PM. I did it just to see if I could – started the oversize blank on a faceplate off the end of the bed, with the tool rest between the headstock and the end of the bed, gradually working the blank round, pulling it back over the bed and finally cutting a tenon to mount it in a chuck. “Been there, done that.” I haven’t turned anything that large since, even with the 25" swing on my current lathe. Ironically, much of what I have turned with that lathe recently has been spindles with a maximum diameter of 1"-2". My sister came by once when I happened to be turning a spindle 1" in diameter and less than 4" long. She commented that it seemed disproportionate to the lathe. It was.

Whatever the reasons, I just did not enjoy turning on the PM as much as I did on the Jet. Indeed, the Jet remained set up for almost the entire time I owned the PM, and was used. I don’t think there was any clearly identifiable ‘problem’, just a lack of satisfaction — little things just didn’t feel right and I didn’t enjoy working on it as much as the 1642, or as I do now on my new one. I turn for enjoyment, not for commerce. We were incompatible – we separated and the PM is appreciated in its new home.

When I sold the PM, I decided how much I wanted, and was able to wait until I found a buyer. I could have sold it faster for less. It certainly held its resale value.