Thread: Grizzly g0766 lathe tool rest upgrade

Grizzly g0766 lathe tool rest upgrade

I want to replace the tool rest on my new G0766 lathe, and would like suggestions on what I should replace it with. I'm leaning towards the Robust 12" Custom Tool Rest with the long post. The only thing I don't know is if it's truly long enough. Does anyone have a practical knowledge as to whether or not this tool rest will work?

Any other suggestions are also appreciated.

Thanks,

Robust has a dimensioned drawing for all of their standard tool rests here: http://www.turnrobust.com/toolrest-dimensions/

They can also make you a tool rest with a longer post if you request it (from their FAQ):
    Q? Do you make custom toolrests?

• Yes. We can do custom post diameters and lengths. There is an upcharge for metric posts. We can also make long two-posted tool rests for long spindles. You’ll have to phone these orders in.

3. I have 6 different Robust rests I use on my G0766 and my G0800. Versatility for varying functions is a real plus, and as an example, the curved outside bowl rest allows one to continue a cut from rim to tenon without having to readjust the tool rest. The hardened rod on the rest edge resists nicks and allows a smoother cut better than the stock cast iron rests, IMO. Highly recommended, the Robust Rests!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I have a couple of Robust tools I ordered for my G0766. Just call them and tell them how long you want the posts. Mine are 8.75". There was no up-charge for the change in the post length. Excellent rests.

I also have a set of Best Wood Tools modular rests. They work fine without modifications for all things except when you need a high rest on a larger spindle when using a skew. Then you run out of post. Otherwise, I like them, especially their little box rest.

Never understood why Grizzly makes their banjos too short. Maybe they are expecting people to buy only from them.... The best rests are the ones with the hardened drill rod on top. It doesn't dent or ding like cast iron or the softer steels will. Choices there are Robust, and Steve Sinner makes good straight rests as well. My Vicmark 240 has a straight rest with a round bar on top, but it is not hardened. Junk to me. The hardened drill rod is like variable speed on your lathe. Once you have it, you never want to go back...

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Never understood why Grizzly makes their banjos too short. Maybe they are expecting people to buy only from them....
    Not absolutely positive, but suspect it's because their standard rest would not have enough downward travel. It's a cast iron rest with a thick and long throat. All the way in the banjo and it's still pretty high. They would have to change both the banjo and the rest if they were to change, I'm guessing.