Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New vase...is this form more pleasing? -pics-

New vase...is this form more pleasing? -pics-

Thank you everyone who responded to my other thread about helping me improve my form on vases. I took your suggestions and made this one this afternoon. It is lightly spalted pecan with a gloss lacquer finish. It is 5 1/2" tall and 2 1/2" at the widest part.

Please give me honest feedback to help me improve even further.

Thanks for looking!
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

Much better in my opinion. I can take or leave the base though but overall I like it.

Yeah, not sure I like the base either. I don't really like vases with very small bottoms without some kind of foot, though. They look like they will fall over!
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

Very nice Curtis The base I could go either way with, but being that small you shouldn't have any problems with it tipping over. The finish and the form are really nice.

Great job.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

The vase is now footless! I put it back on the lathe and got rid of it and it certainly looks better! Thanks for the suggestion.
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

Removing the foot was a good idea, IMHO. This form, while good, could also be improved by keeping a more natural curve to the base. It gets slim a little too fast. Think in terms of continuous, "sexy" curves. For this one, you may need to make the widest part just a little narrower in terms of proportion to make that happen. BTW, that slightly spalted pecan is really beautiful!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Vase 2

I like the improvement.

I especially like the repeat of the slight detail on both the lip and the foot.

John

8. I like the wood and form and love the finish! Nice work, Curtis!

Thanks for the pictures!

Looking good! I agree with Jim about the bottom side needs to have more curve. I think the form is good just a little out of proportion the point of the fat part is too low for this form IMO but take it just as that. I do not do give critiques very often and I admire you for getting help to improve and this is what its all about we all want to get better. I did a little paint shop pro magic on it I hope it don't offend you I'm just trying to help you out
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Ketron; 01-08-2006 at 10:35 PM.
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Thats purty wood!!! you know if you don't like those you just start sending them to me, I'll display them !!

Personaly I liked the foot, but hey thats just me. I've learned that not everyone likes things I like.

Yup....looks better without the foot on the bottom. I like it a lot now.!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

12. I'll be a dissenting voice... I like the foot...

Much better Curtis! Now how about taking a wee bit off the top. Oh about 1/3 of it or so.
    Only the Blue Roads

I like it Curtis. Very shapely and very attractive. I like it with or without the foot....probably lean more toward footless though.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Curtis, I probably have no business critiquing, but FWIW it think Jim's on the right track. Personally, I would raise the shoulder a bit more than he did, continue the curve to the base (no foot), reduce the height and flare of the top and curve the underside of that flare rather than leaving it straight. I see too many straight lines. But then that is just my preference. Everyone is different. I found a while ago that asking is the only way to understand how others see our work. If all we ever get are "atta boys" and "nice piece", how will we ever improve? Took me awhile before I had the nerve to post in the Critiques album on the WoW site, but I was glad I did. You need a thick skin though...those guys are pros!
    I forgot to say that I am impressed with your finishing job! Very, very nice!
    Last edited by Carole Valentine; 01-09-2006 at 11:27 AM.