Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Not cheatin-Is production

Is Not cheatin-Is production

I know it looks like cheatin a little but in production, its how fast you can finish the job and how quick the check comes from the customer, right ? Right ! Here is one of the wicked leg sisters from the same side of the scrap pile. I don't care for turning Yellow Pine too much chipout, but the inside of the cabin where the table is going is tongue and groove yellow pine and country style so it calls for a yellow pine table with turned legs and 1 1/4" yellow pine top.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lightbulb Cheating?

This kind of reminds me of a ShopSmith I once seen running in lathe "mode" with the duplacating attachment.
    Last edited by Paul Geer; 07-15-2003 at 3:38 PM.
    Cool Place, this Sawmill Creek.

Bobby, I can't tell what it looks like from the picture, but if you grind that cutter to a 30 deg bevel, it will cut a lot smoother for you.

I'm not a big fan of duplicators, but if it works, it's legal.

Bill

Chipout

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Grumbine
    Bobby, I can't tell what it looks like from the picture, but if you grind that cutter to a 30 deg bevel, it will cut a lot smoother for you.

Bill

Yeah Bill, that tool holder stand came from a guy in Florida years ago touted to be a duplicator and I had to modify it on my original lathe and then again on this one, the cutter is tool-steel (round) and sharpened to a long point and in resharpening has changed and I need to reshape it again and sharpen it, just didn't take time yet. Have you used those replaceable cutter tips, are they any good. I really would like to have a holder for square tools, I can sharpen (metal) lathe tools(by hand) ok but have trouble with this round tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Geer
    This kind of reminds me of a ShopSmith I once seen running in lathe "mode" with the duplacating attachment.
    Paul, it does look a bit like the ShopSmith lathe duplicator. I had a SS when I started a few years ago, and had that attachment. Nevevr used it, mind you, but I had it, and that's half the battle!
    Sam/Atlanta

Hi Bobby

I've used square cutter tips in my hollowing tools, but never in a duplicator. I hold them in my finger tips, but they get pretty close to the wheel that way. A vice grip does a good job too. The square cutters do a good job of cutting.

Bill

I hold them in my finger tips, but they get pretty close to the wheel that way. A vice grip does a good job too. The square cutters do a good job of cutting.
    I picked up a "boring bar" from Enco that I use to hold the square cutter stock during sharpening. It was inexpensive and is quite effective at keeping precious fingertips away from those spinning wheels!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Fingertips on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I picked up a "boring bar" from Enco that I use to hold the square cutter stock during sharpening. It was inexpensive and is quite effective at keeping precious fingertips away from those spinning wheels!
    Jim I can understand about the fingertips, sharpening square metal lathe tools to turn a part just so, sometimes gets the fingers a little warm, but your gotta cool them in the water cup when you cool the tool. Blisters and metal splinters in the fingers are a way of life in the machine shop. Red hot little chips and steel strings coming off the lathe are fun also, when they land on your hand or arm, you can't stop till you get to the end of the cut, just grit your teeth and bare it, you learn quickly how to avoid them.

SS Duplicator

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Geer
    Paul and Sam, that attachment may have been a copy of a SS, some guy down in Florida advertised it in a wood mag back in the 80's, it had a useless set of brackets and a following attachment with it that have been missing since the first time it didn't work, then I modified it with a much larger and longer base that it needed because the cutter was so high on the post, that stabilized it enough to use it, I just drilled and tapped a hole in the base for a following pin bolt.

10. Bobby, I know what you mean about turning that yellow pne. I have turned half a hundred three and four legged stools from that stuff. I make the seats fifteen inches in diameter. The legs are 1 and 1/2 inches and the spindles are one inch. Sure have to leave a little extra to be able to sand some of the tear out down and still have enough wood left. I use it because people seem to really like that yellow pine in stools. Would much rather turn them out of walnut. My shop stool is made from claro black walnut and still looks good after forty years.
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Bobby, when I got my Logan, I had a choice between it and a much larger LeBlond gap lathe with a tracer attachment. The LeBlond needed a total rebuild and I just didn’t want to deal with it at the time. Sometimes I wish I had taken the LeBlond but I had just finished a yearlong rebuild on a SIP jig-bore and was totally burned out.
    I'm not sure that I would have had enough amps anyway, the LeBlond had a 10hp Century motor in it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Yellow pine

Quote Originally Posted by Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
    Bobby, I know what you mean about turning that yellow pne. I have turned half a hundred three and four legged stools from that stuff. I make the seats fifteen inches in diameter. The legs are 1 and 1/2 inches and the spindles are one inch. Sure have to leave a little extra to be able to sand some of the tear out down and still have enough wood left. I use it because people seem to really like that yellow pine in stools. Would much rather turn them out of walnut. My shop stool is made from claro black walnut and still looks good after forty years.
    Don,I don't know what it is about the south and yellow pine, I guess everyone thinks because thats what they made so many houses out of back from the 20's to the 50's that its country, and that's what many seem to want. I would rather have made it out of southern maple, even as soft as it is, it would have been country enough.

Lathe duplicator

Bill
    Hey Bill, how about a router with a corebox bit in it following a pattern while the lathe is turning, you ever see one used for turning something like table legs, is the finish a lot smoother than I'm getting ? Is the Legacy almost like that, or does it not rotate the part that fast.

Cool

Say Bobby
    That tool looks like the one that I purchased one time to teach "new lathe students" without the fear of having a long tool under their arm pit. It was planted on a piece of 3/4 ply as yours with the top movable (in and out). If I remember correctly, the purchase was from a company in Washington state but then again my mind is going and it's been too long ago.

Secondly: One of the HGTV or somewhere I saw a program concern the turning of extremely large bowls using a router instead of a hand tool. It seems to me that the gentleman who had the setup was in the northwest. He was turning tree stumps or BIG chunks of wood like that. The router was mounted on an articulated swinging arm, if my memory is any good.
    Daniel
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rabinovitz
    Secondly: One of the HGTV or somewhere I saw a program concern the turning of extremely large bowls using a router instead of a hand tool. It seems to me that the gentleman who had the setup was in the northwest. He was turning tree stumps or BIG chunks of wood like that. The router was mounted on an articulated swinging arm, if my memory is any good.
    I believe this was from a NYW episode last year on PBS that Norm did on turning bowls...the only disappointing episode of that show I've ever seen. The fellow with the router system is located in the far northwest of the US.