Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 14 degree bevel

Let us know how it works out ....
    Leo

Thumbs up

Will do. Thanks.
    Every deed plants a seed.

No good deed goes unpunished. I finally got a call from Dan. I suggested he talk to the bandsaw mill man. But, he's decided to build a frame of some sort to carry a power hand planer. I asked him about "no alignment marks". He said he thought he could get what he wanted this way.

Oh well... Thanks for the suggestions, folks. Next time I'll just let him figger it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Barlow
    ...But, he's decided to build a frame of some sort to carry a power hand planer. I asked him about "no alignment marks". He said he thought he could get what he wanted this way...
    I'm guessing he's never used a power hand planer on a wide surface before. You might want to keep the number for that bandsaw mill handy.

- Vaughn

Hey everyone, I just went back and reread all the posts and had an idea (I know-UH OH).
    Apparently these 4x12's are for the top members of a pergola right? Only 12' long, right? Not carrying any weight, right? What would happen if we thought out-of-the-box and built a .......box?

Okay, I think this is right. Instead of 45 degree corners on two 1x4's and two 1x12's, put two 14 degree rips on either edge of each piece and use butt joints, with the top 1x4 being a narrower rip than the bottom, of course, to make the taper. Or for a miter joint, the top needs to make a 76 degree angle, right? 90 -14 = 76 degrees. Cut 38 degree rips on the edges for the top of the box, laying the pieces flat on the TS table while ripping (like normal). Then, the make the same 38 degree cut for the bottom pieces but ripping them standing on edge (giving you, in effect a 52 degree rip if you could rip it flat. 90 + 14 = 104 degrees).

Wouldn't this work? As long as the top members were just decorative and didn't carry any weignt I don't see why not. Also, those 4x12's are going to want to twist and/or crack being out in the weather.

What do you think?
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Mark, he has the 4x12's in his shop. I don't think he will consider anything else, as we discussed this at length some time back. When I mentioned the bandsaw mill, he had pretty much "figured out" a sled for the power planer.

Who knows, after he starts, or finishes, the planer, he may load 'em up and head to the mill.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Barlow
    Mark, he has the 4x12's in his shop. I don't think he will consider anything else, as we discussed this at length some time back. When I mentioned the bandsaw mill, he had pretty much "figured out" a sled for the power planer.

Who knows, after he starts, or finishes, the planer, he may load 'em up and head to the mill.

Ok, it was just a thought. A very late night thought.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Am I missing something or have you guys become to mechanized. I would
    mark it and use my trusty "Sandvik" cordless cross cut and have it over
    with.
    Poor Antonio Stradivari, he never had a Shaper

18v?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    If it were me, I would also want to do the job in one cut and I would rent the Makita 14" saw.

I guess that I would need to attempt this with a bandsaw.

So, what I would probably do would be first to cut a 14 degree angle as deep as I could with a circular sdaw that I could trust and then complete the cut with a good hand rip saw

Frank, you crack me up. You just about got all options covered.

HAHA Doug.......that is funny! Frank is gonna cut that board if it kills him......Strange there was no mention of a beaver to simply knaw away at it - a Canadian Beaver of course. Hey Frank, sorry to laugh at your expence, actually...I think all your ideas were good. You would be a great one to have around for brainstorming!