Thread: Problem with Jet Oscillating Spindle Sander - Need Some Advice

Problem with Jet Oscillating Spindle Sander - Need Some Advice

Hey Folks,

I have the Tabletop Jet OSS. Had it for more than 20 years and very with it happy, until now. I cannot get the spindle out of the sander. I am a very large guy with exceptionlly strong hands, and even with a set of vise grips on the post, and a large, long handled adjustable wrench on the spindle, I cannot crack the thing open. I have removed the table to maybe try and get more leverage - no luck. I used 3 in 1 oil on it and let it seep overnight - no difference. I have tried both directions - the doubt of it being a left handed thread crept in a while ago. Made no difference either. I went back to it being a standard thread.

Anyone have a suggestion? I am very reluctant to buy replacements -- it will be expensive because it will include the spindle and the recepticle. Of course less expensive than a new sander. I am not sure what to do - any suggestions?

Thanks all.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Beaulieu; 05-01-2021 at 4:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Beaulieu View Post
    Hey Folks,

I have the Tabletop Jet OSS. Had it for more than 20 years and very with it happy, until now. I cannot get the spindle out of the sander. I am a very large guy with exceptionlly strong hands, and even with a set of vise grips on the post, and a large, long handled adjustable wrench on the spindle, I cannot crack the thing open. I have removed the table to maybe try and get more leverage - no luck. I used 3 in 1 oil on it and let it seep overnight - no difference. I have tried both directions - the doubt of it being a left handed thread crept in a while ago. Made no difference either. I went back to it being a standard thread.

Anyone have a suggestion? I am very reluctant to buy replacements -- it will be expensive because it will include the spindle and the recepticle. Of course less expensive than a new sander. I am not sure what to do - any suggestions?

Thanks all.

Joe

Giot it off - got a running start and just used as much muscle as I could muster, not bad for 64 years old!

:-)

Thanks All

Joe

I had a Jet JBOS-5 spindle sander years ago. The spindle would become stuck in the tapered holder frequently. What finally helped me was never leaving a drum in the machine when I was finished using it. Never wrench tighten the drum, hand only. Finally, a very light coating of an anti seize compound for automotive threaded fasteners.

Glad you got yours to loosen.

I also only tighten the drums by hand and I'll clean out the tapered hole and the drums before installing them.

Wow, I have one of those, never had any problems like that. However, I will go out and take off the spindle today. And I have used tools to tighten, no need now that I think of it. Good stuff to know. Thanks for posting and glad you got it off! Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I'll clean out the tapered hole and the drums before installing them.
    That is something I did with the Jet also, and my current Grizzly G1071.

I also put a piece of aluminum foil over the spindle socket. Foil allows me to hand form a snug fit. This keeps dust and debris out of the socket.