Thread: Need Advice for a Memorial Cross

Need Advice for a Memorial Cross

I have a dear friend who works with me who lost her daughter in a car accident on January 2. My friend just returned to work today (back sooner than I could have been, for sure). I can't understand the devastation that one must go through when something like this occurs.

Anyway, she has asked me to make one of those simple white crosses that families sometimes place at accident sites. I know that some people have issues with those things, but I want to do this for my friend, and I don't know where to start.

I need advice concerning dimensions, material, lettering, content (like... do I put a name on it at all? And if so, just first name? Any dates???) and anything else anyone can think of to help me. I want to deliver it by Friday if at all possible...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Jeff
    Athens, AL

FWIW, I just made a cross to go on the front of a lectern yesterday. I dado'd the upright and cross bar so they fit together tightly. I initially thought the cross bar should be 2/3 of the height, but that turned out to look way too long. I'm at work right now but I'm guessing the upright is 17" and the cross bar is 9.5"

3. Jeff,
    Re: size etc. I am also in the process of building a lecturn for the Church of a local ministry and I am using 25" for the upright and 14.5" for the cross bar itself. I plan on a half lap joint for assembly, a slight bevel on all edges. The whole lectern is to be made using only hand tools (my personal choice). Using my dimensions and Toms dimensions, you can get a general estimate and extrapolate from there. IE: 30" High and 19.5" for the cross and so on.
    Re: lettering. Here in the south, there are many of these crosses on the roads (too many) and some that I have seen have on a name and born/died date on them. The name being on the upright, born date on left, died date on right.
    RE:material. I haven't examined any of these crosses too closely (respect thing) but I personally would use a fairly hardy wood such as oak (if it were to be a stained cross, or dry treated pine if it were to be painted. Make sure to use an exterior grade paint for both the cross and lettering.

Just a couple of suggestions,

DS

1st John 14:27

Quote Originally Posted by David Scarborough
    fairly hardy wood such as oak (if it were to be a stained cross, or dry treated pine if it were to be painted.
    White Oak is good outside, but not red. Cedar or treated would be good, but unless you have some pressure treated that's been drying a while, you'll never find anything dry enough to use. There are a number of other outdoor woods. Make sure you friend places out of the right away. Around here they will sometimes remove them if they are in the right of way due to safety concerns and that usually ends up causing obvious hard feelings. There is one not too far from my house that's been up foir a while that I think has a name and dates on it.

Wording.

Jeff,
    You've already got the dimensions. I'm not sure that specific wording is required. Those who recognize the reason for the cross and its location will know the details. Something like, "WITH LOVING MEMORIES" or "WE LOVE YOU" should be sufficient. These requests are REALLY tough and I feel for you.

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Jeff:

Another good choice for material would be cypress, and it should be available in Alabama. If not, I have some that I'd be more than happy to share for such a worthy effort.
    Sam/Atlanta

Jeff,

To avoid some potenial heartache , you may want to contact the appropriate government agency responsible for roadside maintenance (e.g state DOT or county or city roads dept.) prior to installing the cross. They will likely (hopefully?) provide you with guidance in terms of what is allowed and exactly where.

I know that in my state, these are not allowed along certain roads and where they are allowed, they must be clear of any possible mowing or grading areas -- not to mention they should not cause any distractions for other motorists.

Good luck.
    Peter Lyon

I built some crosses for a friend that is in the business of providing those sorts of things to lots of churches. She told me the "correct" perspective for a cross is the dimension of the upper three members is the same and the lower dimension twice that of the upper. For example, if the right, left and upper vertical sections are each 5", the lower vertical section would be 10".
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Thanks Sam!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Chambers
    Jeff:

Another good choice for material would be cypress, and it should be available in Alabama. If not, I have some that I'd be more than happy to share for such a worthy effort.
    Sam... thanks for the generous offer. Your kindness and generosity is much appreciated. I have some white oak on hand, and I was thinking of using that. But your suggestion of using cypress is excellent -- because it would be easier to letter and just (if not more) as durable.

There's a sawmill not far from here where I can usually find cypress in small quantities. Nevertheless, again, thanks for your offer, and God bless you and everyone else who responded for all this excellent advice and kindness!

I'm sure you and the others here will all be repaid in some way.

Jeff Smith
    Athens, AL
    Athens, AL