Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ugly tool organizer

I am usually reluctant to bump a two year old thread, but I did link to this build in a current Neander thread, and realized I hadn't posted a one year review last year. So here goes.

1. I am terrifically happy that I chose to focus on flexible rather than fixed storage.

2. The manuals for all my shop tools fit easily behind the joinery saws, plus spare blades for my planer and spare blades for my jointer.

3. My original plan was to put all my midlength scrap on the side platforms. Once built, I got all my midlength scrap off the shop floor (yay!) and it proved to be the best idea for about 15 minutes. I am currently migrating mid length scrap off the side platforms and moving various clamps into those spaces. Bar clamps, F clamps and etcetera. My stitching horse for hand sewing leather stays, the scrap of highly figured beech needs to live somewhere else.

4. It took a few tries to get happy with the chisel drawer. If I could do it over I would glue the magnets into a thicker piece of wood. I would drill from the underside so the chisels would be resting on wood only, with the tiny holes made made by the point on a spade bit showing the center of each magnet. I don't remember which glue I used the first time I glued the rare earth magnets from Lee Valley down into the predrilled holes. It wasn't strong enough, I kept pickup up a chisel with a magnet stuck to the back of the chisel blade. For the re-glue I drilled the holes a bit deeper to get the old glue out and used five minute epoxy from the home store to hold the magnets. In use, when I am doing say blind or half blind dovetails the skew chisels just kinda migrate to the front row, and some other chisel moves to the back row to make room at the front.

At the end of the day tool storage, to an Alaskan, is very much like winter tire selection. If you see a lot of unplowed snow and a lot of bare ice, studded tires with deep tread lugs make a lot of sense. If you are mostly on plowed highway, just a winter rubber compound with a smoother (more quiet) tread is probably a better choice, but there is no single winter tire that can possibly excel in all possible wintertime conditions.
    Attached Images Attached Images