Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shipping a Toy Box

https://www.fastenal.com/en/22/blue-lane-freight

I do not see it but they used top have a flat rate pallet box for around $200.
    Bill D

I’ve used Uship for large items with very good service. You do need to crate it properly. You will get bids on your request.

The toy box that I built was mostly from Poplar and plywood, then painted with a primer and acrylic enamel. I glued each side panel, bottom and top together where necessary, but shipped it knocked down along with a small bottle of Titebond II glue, some rope for banding it together while the glue dried, and an instruction sheet that I made up. Each side panel, the top, and the bottom were all stacked together with small bubble wrap completely around each. The stack was then taped together well so they couldn't shift during transit Then they were placed in a box about 4" larger in each direction, and I placed pieces of 2" thick pink foam plastic insulation above, below, and all around, so there was very little room for the panels to shift while in transit. It was shipped via UPS, and it arrived in North LA with the box corners all dented in and rounded from tumbling on the conveyors, but the panels didn't even have scratches in the paint. My daughter followed my instructions and had the toy box assembled, glued together, and drying that afternoon. The secret is in the quality of your packing job. Cut any packaging corners or leave out padding so it can shift inside the box, and it will arrive broken or missing parts. It is possible, even with the UPS Gorilla (I think he once worked for Eastern Airlines) handling your package, for it to arrive safely, if you package it properly.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 05-18-2021 at 11:56 PM.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm a bit away from having it finished and ready to ship, but I'm trying to figure out the logistics before it becomes an urgent issue. I have shipped both flat packed and crated pieces before, but trying to get the toy box delivered to their home in a way they can handle has been the hang up on this one. It's based on Tom McLaughlin's Shaker Blanket Chest. The case is dovetailed, so I really can't send it unassembled for them to put together. I'm following up on these leads and hope to get this safely delivered to Ace's bedroom in the not too distant future.

Scott