Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: London, UK trip

1. Oh, forgot to mention, try and go to the Imperial War Museum. It's also free, and very impressive. Outside the front entrance they mounted a pair of 16" (or so) naval cannon which are themselves worthy of the trip. This is not to mention the P-51, Spitfire and FW-190 they have hanging from the ceiling in the main hall, right next to Snoopy's Sopwith Camel, and the Sherman tank, and the Panther tank, etc., etc. And yeah, take the tube.

2. Ditto on using the tubes, learned that the first time we went to London. If you are sightseeing , you wont have time to look for wwing stuff.
    I miss living in england

Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jarnell
    Ian-I only commented because I have friends here in NZ who go to England,wander around London and then say,I didn't think much of England.
    Same if you go to USA call in at LA and say the same.
    England is indeed a land of contrasts. This is a photo of Langdale in Northwest England, near the Irish Sea. The road through this valley has some 35 percent grades and is only one lane wide. This photo was taken from the ruins of a Roman fort that was one of the farthest western outposts of the Roman Empire. It guarded the avenue into the English interior. If your only image of England is London, try to get out and see some of the countryside.

Cheers.

Hank
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hank Knight; 01-11-2006 at 2:56 PM.

Peter,

If you plan to visit Stonehenge, you can take in Pennyfarthing Tools which is in Salisbury.

http://www.pennyfarthingtools.co.uk/index.htm

I seem to recall it is about a 90 minute train ride from central London. We rode the train, got on a shuttle bus to Stonehenge and back and then walked to Pennyfarthing Tools.

This website has a number of locations for UK tool dealers:

http://www.amgron.clara.net/addresses/addresses.htm

"There is a flea market stall in the churchyard of St. Martins of the Fields in London, immediately adjacent Trafalgar Square, and an easy walk from Charing Cross underground station. There's an OAP (senior citizen for US-types) there by the name of John selling old tools. John says he's a retired curved staircase builder, and he's selling old tools on Saturday and Sunday."

This gentleman is a treasure to meet. It has been about five years since I was there so I don't know if he is still at the market.

Have a great trip!

TJ

The British museum has a great watch and clock section. they show the watches and clocks open with the precise engineering and all are working at the time.