Thread: Allergic reaction to Instant Glue?

Allergic reaction to Instant Glue?

I just got back from the Urgent Care Clinic after my second allergic reaction in a week to something in the shop. I'm starting to think it may be fumes from Instant "Crazy" Glue. Both times this happened, I had used the glue about an hour earlier.

Anyone else had a problem with this stuff.

Perry

It's not really an allergen as such, but there is a toxicity factor:
    google on "cyanoacrylate+toxicity+fumes".

And keep it away from heat and flame, which makes the problem much worse.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

In my business we call it a sensitivity. I work with Isocyanates which many people are sensitive to. Most people will develop a sensitivity to it with prolonged exposure if they don't wear respirators and protective gear. If you are that sensitive to them you'll need a full respirator rated for organic compounds and a protective outfit to work with it safely. I'd reccomend just finding another way to accomplish whatever it is you're doing with it.

Whatever the name of the reaction is, I have it BIG TIME too. I started turning pens and found about 2 to 3 and sometime 4 hours later I would find it hard to breath and it just kept getting harder to breath. It takes me about two to three days to get over it. I have tried a LOT of different way to use it and have found NONE that helped. There is a post on here about it too. I have also been told by SMC folks and Dr's that I need to stay away from it because one day I just may have a MUCH worse reaction to it. I am a 30 min drive from the doctor/hospital if that reaction ever does happen.. I don't think the O2 in my cutting torch is going to save me :-).

I now use poly glue (gorilla) or epoxy for ALL of my needs.

Please be careful and watch out for the dust in your shop as well. I have installed a 5HP cyclone made by Clear Vue because of the dust problem and now have that problem fixed.

I Guess I could make a fume hood like is used in labs to allow me to use CA glue but I would rather just stop using it.

Be careful my friend.

Ed

Using NO CA glue in Troy, VA

Perry, my vote is on the sensitivity, too. Unfortuantely, that's not really "convenient" for you given your multi-material work since CA really lends itself to working in wood, glass and metal simultaniously. You can probably use substitutes in some cases, but when CA is the right one, it's respirator time...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the comments. I hope it's just the glue. I don't use it very often, but sometimes it's the right product for the job, usually because I'm in a hurry. I can find something else.

Just to add some details. I used the CA glue on Monday to temporary hold steel together some I could get it in a clamp to weld. Because of the weather, I welded in a confined area inside. I then went outside briefly to add a chemical patina, using a respirator. When the couching started about 2 hours later, I assumed it was the welding. With over the counter stuff this week I thought I had it under control. I did no welding and made much less dust than I normally do.

Today I felt much better, but still was doing light dust work ( yes the dust system was going and I was wearing a mask if a machine was on). I again used the glue on a very small delicate box I am prototyping for an upcoming wholesale show. Within 2 hours I'm couching my head off again.

I'm OK now after the trip to the clinic, a steroid shot, meds, etc. Looks like I may be in a small minority that is very sensitive to this stuff. Oh well.

Perry

Everytime I use the stuff my eyes burn and water like crazy....just from the fumes.

Perry,

It sounds to me like you are having an asthmatic reaction to the CA. This, while not uncommon, is not frequently seen. The fact that you seem to have the reaction hours later suggest a slowly mediated chemokine reaction. Are you presently on any type of medication for asthma? If you were truely allergic to CA fumes you would have the respiratory reactions within minutes of exposure.