Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clamps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Clamps

I have finally cleaned out enough space in my "shop" to get around to some fun projects. I have come to the point where I need to buy some bar clamps or pipe clamps. I am definitely not going to be using them every day so I am interested in a value buy. I am not opposed to paying more for something that is exceptional but I don't really understand the differences and can't justify paying for Jorgensen over Woodcraft. I guess I will get to my questions.

Is there an advantage with either bar or pipe clamps? How many people actually change out the pipe length to buy fewer clamps?

How many should I grab initially? My first project will be a mudroom storage bench. My thought is that you can't have too many, right? But they can be too short. Is too long just a hassle moving around the project?

I am not sure I made my point clear, but anyone who can decipher this and offer a suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Clamps

I bought three of each size of these

from Hartville Tool using their Christmas discount. I got them, used them, and liked them so much, I bought another 3 of each.

Four sizes...see them here http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12064
    Marc
    Kenosha, WI

I am in the camp that believe that you can never have enough clamps but unfortunately, never find that I have enough $$ to buy enough of the bar style so I have stuck with Pony Pipe clamps. It doesn't take that long to change the pipes on them but instead of paying for long pipe that you only use on occasion (in can indeed be a hassle to have too long of pipe) I opted for having most of my pipes cut at 3' and threaded on both ends. When you need a larger clamp, you just join them together using a coupler.

How many should you pick up??? 40 should do for starters. OK, relax Steve. Honestly, I would get as many as you can afford right now. The number of clamps you will need over time really is determined on the type of woodworking you do and the materials you use. For instance, if you plan to work mostly with solid lumber then you will no doubt be doing a lot of glue-up to create panels etc......you will need a good supply of clamps whereas if you plan to use mostly sheet good, you can get away with less. Plan to be a "Clamp Collector" for quite some time.

I currently have 12 pipe clamps of various lengths. I find the 3 foot length to be the handiest length. I also have some 5 footers. All of my pipes are threaded on both ends and I have used couplers to create longer clamps.

I also have probably 20 of the clamps like mark showed. All of my clamps came from harbor freight. No complaints yet. I would love some k-bodies, but $30 for a clamp or so is a LOT of wood!

Start out with pipe clamps and then use wood cauls to keep the panel flat during the glue up.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

clamps? who needs `em

MVC-099S.JPG

MVC-100S.JPG

MVC-101S.JPG

buy as many as you can you`ll need more......02 tod

[quote=tod evans]clamps? who needs `em

MVC-099S.JPG

Tod, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that your shop helper is a Mastiff, but cannot be certain unless I see a head shot of her. Oh wait, just noticed her partner just to the left of the frame. He appears to be of the Old English variety too. Dude, I'm not only enviousy of your shop, but your Mastiffs too. We had a pair of our own in the past, they have since passed on. My daughters would scream if they saw this pic. I see in your avitar that there is a four-legged friend pictured, but it's too small to make out. Would love too see more pictures of them.

Sorry to hijack this thread, I just get all giddy when I see a Mastiff.

To the OP, I started out with HF pipe clamps, a few of their aluminum bar clamps (24" and 48"), and four of their 12" F-body clamps. All have served me well. I aslo found some heavy duty Irwin F-body clamps on sale for $12 a piece at Big Lots; picked up four of those. Just last night, FedX delivered my Bessey K-Body clamps I got from Lee Valley during the Oct K-Body sale frenzy. My collection has taken me a few years to bring together, but like others have noted--you'll never have enough. I'm always on the look out for sales and will buy used if I see them at the right price. Your notion that different sizes are needed is correct. Just go slow with purchasing them and you'll be amazed what you'll have after a while.

Take care, Ed

[quote=Ed Bamba]
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    clamps? who needs `em

MVC-099S.JPG

Tod, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that your shop helper is a Mastiff, but cannot be certain unless I see a head shot of her. Oh wait, just noticed her partner just to the left of the frame. He appears to be of the Old English variety too. Dude, I'm not only enviousy of your shop, but your Mastiffs too. We had a pair of our own in the past, they have since passed on. My daughters would scream if they saw this pic. I see in your avitar that there is a four-legged friend pictured, but it's too small to make out. Would love too see more pictures of them.

Sorry to hijack this thread, I just get all giddy when I see a Mastiff.

Take care, Ed
    here`s to giddyness and steve sorry about the hijack too. tod

MVC-102S.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    clamps? who needs `em

buy as many as you can you`ll need more......02 tod
    Nice collections of clamps...can never have enough.

Nice shop assistants, too!! Three of them?!!! WOW!

I am a huge bessy k-body fan but there are times when more clamping force is needed. 3/4 pipe clamps work okay but I've got my eye out for a half dozen 48-60 inch Jorgie iron bar clamps. These puppies will flat pull in a glueup!

Mac
    Mac

Clamps?
    Attached Images Attached Images

A few more
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steve,

Check out the bowclamps in our FreeStuff Drawing. These will reduce the number of clamps you need to purchase and save you MONEY!

Bill, your breaking my heart, the old wooden screw clamps are my favorites. I use them all the time and find they have the best grip and are the most versitile.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    Steve,

Check out the bowclamps in our FreeStuff Drawing. These will reduce the number of clamps you need to purchase and save you MONEY!

Bill, your breaking my heart, the old wooden screw clamps are my favorites. I use them all the time and find they have the best grip and are the most versitile.
    Yes. Did that.
    Over 400 clamps. Hmmm. Maybe sell 300, buy new bow clamps!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    Yes. Did that.
    Over 400 clamps. Hmmm. Maybe sell 300, buy new bow clamps!!
    400 clamps ?!? Holy cr@p.

Are you even allowed to say "I don't have enough clamps" when you have that many?
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Herrmann
    400 clamps ?!? Holy cr@p.

Are you even allowed to say "I don't have enough clamps" when you have that many?

Lol. I said that for a long time.