Thread: ebay sellers

ebay sellers

I bought a lot of stuff on ebay in the late 90s and early 2000s. I drifted away from woodworking, when I became afflicted by another bug about 10 years ago. I still spend a lot of my winter in the shop, but I'm not as aggressive about it. I hope I will rekindle that flame once (or if ever) I retire.

I recently got on ebay and looked through my saved sellers. Wow, they're almost all gone.

In particular, I miss azmica904505. He had a wealth of talent and knowledge about all things saws, and saw files.

I hope Mike is hale and hearty.

There are so many other folks I met on the web that had so much knowledge about specific neander techniques and tools. I hope there are folks that will step in behind them, but I just don't know. We're losing generations of knowledgeable people that had the patience and willingness to share data with us newbs.

It's funny. You can buy stuff from a seller on the bay for a bunch of years, learn about their families and never meet them in person. Oh, wait - the interwebs.

That said, I've met a bunch of Neanderthals from the Creek over the years in person. I hope to do so again, when I start diving back in deeply. For all you old guys, that means the Cracker Barrel in Collinsville. I don't know if it's still worth going to the show. I've met some young friends there in the past few years. It's nothing like it used to be. But... I still enjoy fondling the Veritas tools.

I do hope George Wilson is still active and posting here.

Stepping off my old man's soapbox.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Blog Entries
    There are so many other folks I met on the web that had so much knowledge about specific neander techniques and tools. I hope there are folks that will step in behind them, but I just don't know. We're losing generations of knowledgeable people that had the patience and willingness to share data with us newbs.
    An expression on this that is occasionally heard, "Sometimes when a person leaves this world it is like a library burning down."

Some techniques are lost due to becoming obsolete through advances in technology only to be rediscovered again years later. Some are lost forever.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Gary,

Mike Merlo (azmica) is still around and selling saws. Where he gets all the saws is a mystery, but he is definitely quite a character. I follow him; he is very knowledgeable about saws but they are always bid up way more than I am willing to pay.

Gary, i bought a saw off Mike last August, a nicely restored Atkins #68 panel saw. It cuts like a champ. Marv Warner was another guy I bought some saws off of around early 2000s as well as Steve Cooke (the Sharpeningguy on eBay).
    I see your location is St. Louis, I was born and lived there for 26 years before the Army got me moving around, family is from South County.

Gary, bring me up to speed; what show are you talking about? I'm in St. Louis.

As time passes, things change...Agree with your observations...
    Jerry