Thread: Spigot Jaws for Stronghold Chuck

Spigot Jaws for Stronghold Chuck

I am plan to get a set of spigot jaws for my Stronghold chucks. There are smooth and profiled jaws available. Does anyone have experience and recommendation of one type over the other?
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

I have used the serrated spigot jaws on the Stronghold chuck for many years. I can't contrast them to smooth jaws, but they work very well. The serrations do grip very securely and that is both an advantage and a disadvantage. While they securely hold very long pieces, the serrations can leave indentations when tightened firmly. That hasn't been a problem for the work that I typically do, however it is something to consider.

Spigot jaws on Stronghold.jpg
    Dick Mahany.

I've got a few strongholds, but use the spigot jaws on either an older Oneway tommy bar chuck or a Talon - they seem better scaled to the smaller chucks. I've only used the smooth version and they hold just fine for knobs and finials mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey J Smith View Post
    I've got a few strongholds, but use the spigot jaws on either an older Oneway tommy bar chuck or a Talon - they seem better scaled to the smaller chucks. I've only used the smooth version and they hold just fine for knobs and finials mostly.
    I'm with Jeffrey. I have a set of smooth on a dedicated smaller chuck. Changing jaws is no fun, and the spigot on a stronghold is definitely overkill.

Just like Rich I have two sets in different sizes for my Strongholds and use them about half the time. My work like Rich is not impacted by the dents they can cause so I'm guessing it really depends on how you plan to use them.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Thank you for your replies. I think I will go with the serrated jaws - just knowing that it will possibly leave marks so dont clamp in an area that is critical to the finish product. I realize this chuck is overkill, but I don't want to purchase another chuck at this time. I have two stongholds. eventually, I will probably pick up another one so dont have to change jaws all the time.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aldrich View Post
    Thank you for your replies. I think I will go with the serrated jaws - just knowing that it will possibly leave marks so dont clamp in an area that is critical to the finish product. I realize this chuck is overkill, but I don't want to purchase another chuck at this time. I have two stongholds. eventually, I will probably pick up another one so dont have to change jaws all the time.
    Overkill? Maybe but the chucks are great and I have three and a Nova but hardly ever use the Nova. Word of caution the new Oneway Stronghold are apparently now made in house and the old keys and new chucks don't actually work that well together.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Overkill? Maybe but the chucks are great and I have three and a Nova but hardly ever use the Nova. Word of caution the new Oneway Stronghold are apparently now made in house and the old keys and new chucks don't actually work that well together.
    I really don't think they are over kill either. Just like my Jet 1642 is large for turning pens, but I use it to turn pens all the time. There isn't a reason to get a smaller lathe for pens...… yet.

I agree these chucks are great. I like the larger jaw movement range compared to the supernova I had before - I turn a lot of green and have issues making the tenon round after drying during the second turning. If these large chucks can be used for the small stuff, I don't see a reason to have a different chuck.

I think the Strongholds I have use the new key. Someone on this forum told me about that when I bought Strongholds.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich