Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Confusion over the Festool Domino and widening the mortise...

If you use the factory produced Dominos, you can adjust a domino's width easily when doing a trial fit. Just stroke the side of a domino with a piece of sandpaper or shave a bit off with a rasp or sharp chisel. The factory dominos have a narrow ridge on the edges that make this adjustment easy.

(While on the topic of making adjustments, sometimes a domino needs to be pulled out after being installed, but before glue-up. I've found that the task is easily done by grabbing the domino with a wire cutter, the type called an end nipper. It only leaves a crease on the faces but gives a good, firm grip on the domino.)

Awesome, thanks for all the help! I cant wait to put this thing to use. I got the systainer with all of the dominos and cutters, as well as the Seneca plywood adaptor. The unit should be arriving today!

If you don’t already have one, get a vacuum hose that fits the domino. You really need the chip extraction or it stops being fun.

When I had the Domino one of my complaints was the tight, super wide and Mack truck settings. I don't like a tendon flopping around in a mortice that is 50% wider. For the price I don't feel like I should have to modify every tendon. My Jessem Doweling jig is easier to get tight precise joints. I am waiting for the competition to come out to see what improvements they make on it. YMMV