Thread: Wait a minute. Is General back?

Wait a minute. Is General back?

I admit. I'm a Canadian General fanboy (1 have 4 of their machines). I just went out to the site and saw their General Commercial line of tools. Some of them look awfully familiar - TS, jointer and DP.

Does anyone know where they're made? I can't seem to find that piece of info on the interwebs.

I emailed them and left a vmail, so if I find out before someone answers, I'll post it here.

Thanks,

Gary
    Last edited by Gary Herrmann; 08-03-2021 at 1:52 PM.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Is this the website you are referring to? If so, it's a completely different company I have one of their dowelling jigs from the 80's so sadly I don't think General Canada is back.
    https://generaltools.com/

It is, Doug. Their "new" model 480 jointer looks identical (aside from color and badging) to my Canadian flag 480.

Are you sure Gary? I don't see any power tools on the website I linked, I did see the dowel jig I have from the 80's, looks like it hasn't changed, also recognize a sharpening jig I have.

If General were making machines again in Canada they would boast. That would be great to have manufacturing again in Canada or USA even Mexico was looking like a contender against China. Nothing has changed.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 08-03-2021 at 6:46 PM.
    Aj

The website that Gary was referring to is https://generaltoolsusa.com.

Thanks Dave, that appears to be the old General but I think under new ownership since the original company went bankrupt in, I think, 2018. Seems a little questionable that they are using both the General and General International brand names as that used to separate the Canadian made models from the imports. As Andy said, if they were manufacturing in Canada or the US, I'm sure they would make that clear, I suspect all their manufacturing is overseas. Might still be good stuff, just questionable business practice.

All manufacturing is overseas according to the website.

Looks the same situation as South Bend and Oliver

Brand/Company names are a valuable commodity these days and they can bring big-bucks to folks owning the names when they sell them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My information is that the "Old" General International is gone - the name is now used by a Canadian company but the tools are not of the same quality.
    The same person told me that the actual machinery is still made, but under the Magnum name, and is sold by KMS Tools here in Canada.
    Now, I'm giving you a salesman's information, but he sure seemed to know my mortiser, giving mew setup tips, so take it as you will.
    My new saw will be neither a Magnum nor a General, but a Sawstop.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    My information is that the "Old" General International is gone - the name is now used by a Canadian company but the tools are not of the same quality.
    No sadly, the company is no longer Canadian. The story behind the demise of General International is almost Byzantine, with plenty of back stabbing, betrayal & double crossing. I got the long version from the Western Canadian sales rep that I knew, but don't remember the details accurately enough to retell the tale.

A gentleman from General replied to me. They are building their commercial tools in China and Vietnam. Shoot.