Thread: Crocasima Lucifer, now what?

Crocasima Lucifer, now what?

I posted that plant a month or so ago and you quickly told me what it was, thanks. I did its thing and was nice and I want more. Now I see these which are seeds if they are called that and since I want to help them along for next year what do I do here. Are they picked and saved over the winter now or end of season? or put them in the ground now or end of season?

Black eyed susans distract in the photo but you can see the rows of seeds. Looked a bit on the net and didnt see the answer but sure its there five times over.

thanks

P1520776A.jpg

while I hadnt found info on you tube stuff it was easy to find on printed material. Stuff said a bit different but leave till end of season to pick and store in paper bag, one said plastic.Plant early in the season inside then to a certain size plant outside when its warm enough.

Hi Warren, I've never tried to grow them from seed, I'll be interested to hear how successful you are. Ours have multiplied from the bulbs, every few years we have to dig them up and divide them, in fact most of the ones we have are from someone's garden who had too many. Not sure what zone you are in but here in the Vancouver area (I think US zone 7) they are perennial and overwinter in the ground with no problem. Google says they are hardy in zones 6 to 9.

thanks Doug

im north of toronto half an hour or so. When you dig them are they large bulbs sort of in a string and dark brown? then you cut and seperate those and replant with one side facing up and each one ends up being a plant. They did not divide that way on their own but wish they did. I didnt have luck first time round with the you tubes but will look again.

c
    I think they should multiply I think there was a lot of mulch stuff on top and maybe what fell didnt get a chance to get into the ground now I understand it a bit more will take a better look

Thanks

w

If I recall the bulbs or more correctly corms are not very big but what you describe is how to propagate them. I'm from Ontario originally, Hamilton and later Cambridge. Have some friends a little north of you near King City. We sent them some corms a few years ago, not sure if they successfully overwintered.

Hi Doug

Number of friends in King, im maybe 15 minutes north of them. Will be in Bolton on the weekend. Ive driven up the 8th concession from King to the Pottageville road many times. Its beautiful. Near the city but its country.

I saw the corns or bulbs for sale sort of 9.00 for each one then someone from BC selling them I think five for 5.00 type of thing. for now ill leave t hem and see if they turn brown by the fall.

thanks

That group (it might be only 2-4 corms) is not big enough to dig up and divide. Maybe in two or three years. In 6 weeks or so you can cut the leaves short to tidy up the garden. Maybe 3" of mulch would help with wintering over.

But once it is big enough to divide you will be off to the races.

Im still confused will have to read more and ill look for a few more you tubes. The mulch was there for look but that is a good point insulating value if needed. If those strings of corns, are they not all corns that each make a flower? so what do you suggest I pick them put them in a bag then plant next year? THink that is what I read but also saw them dig larger ones in a string dark brown and seperate those.

If you are responding to my post, I'm saying you need to give that newly planted crocosmia time to get established. Your friend just planted it. Let it flourish before you dig it up and divide it. It's just a baby at this point.

I really would not bother with the seeds.
    Last edited by Dave Zellers; 08-12-2021 at 12:26 AM.

thanks so you dig that and separate when its right to have more.The corns you refer to are in the ground. What about the string in the photo? how do you deal with those?

Yes she planted it last year or the year before.

King City is USDA zone 5a, according to Whitehouse Perennials Crocosmia Lucifer
    "On most gardening websites it is listed as hardy to Zone 6. In our experience and that of many of our customers it grows well in Zone 4, needing just a winter mulch to protect it if snow cover is scarce."
    So maybe mulch them well and leave them In the ground over winter.
    https://www.whitehouseperennials.com...20is%20scarce.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    while I hadnt found info on you tube stuff it was easy to find on printed material. Stuff said a bit different but leave till end of season to pick and store in paper bag, one said plastic.Plant early in the season inside then to a certain size plant outside when its warm enough.
    OK, I think this is the crux of your post. You are concerned that you might lose it this winter in your cold climate. Honestly, I think you need to find out. When the leaves die back this fall, mulch it and see what happens next spring. I would think it is every bit as hardy as those black eyed susans. I also think your friend who planted them knows that.

If they don't survive the winter, you now know what they are and can replace them if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    What about the string in the photo? how do you deal with those?.
    I don't understand. What string?

Just leave them be and let them multiply.