Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use a #1 bench plane?

Does anyone use a #1 bench plane?

Just wondering how useful is a #1 bench plane? In particular I'm thinking of the Veritas version.

I've always wanted to just hold one, but I've never seen one in person-only in pictures.

Not familiar with the Veritas version but I saw and tried a LN #1 at one of their hand tool events. It’s very small. Struck me as more of a child’s or collectible piece rather than a functional plane. You cannot grip the tote in the usual manner; instead you have to lay your palm over the tote and use it like a block plane. I suppose some others might disagree, but I wouldn’t buy one.

I use the Wood River #1 on small parts. If the Veritas was available when I bought mine, I think I would have dropped the extra $40 and purchased the LV. But there's nothing wrong with the Wood River.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Like Stephen, I spent some time years ago in the LN showroom with a #1. It was beautiful in the bronze, but I spent most of the time with it trying to figure our how to hold it. I don’t have big mitts, but even at that it was a challenge, and I found that grabbing it over the top, again like Stephen, made it tippie.

They are cute, but I think their rarity says something about how useful earlier generations found them. The #3 is the smallest bench plane that's useful to me, but opinions vary.

I have a Lie-Nielsen #1. I bought it to share with grandchildren and to complete a set of L-N bench planes. You can live a full and satisfying woodworker life without ever owning one. It is like a block plane but beautiful. You be a he judge.

The Wood River and Lie Nielsen have the same design. They are designed like block planes. People have said they are awkward to grip. The #1 Veritas is designed differently. It has a rear handle. It probably is easier to hold.

Quote Originally Posted by James Spillman View Post
    The Wood River and Lie Nielsen have the same design. They are designed like block planes. People have said they are awkward to grip. The #1 Veritas is designed differently. It has a rear handle. It probably is easier to hold.
    James,

I looked online at the Veritas. That’s the one designed as a low angle plane (like many block planes). The LN is a standard bevel down bench plane, like #2-8. Again, no actual experience with the Veritas. With its open design I’m sure it is easier to hold, but seems to duplicate the functions of a block plane at considerably more expense.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    I have a Lie-Nielsen #1. I bought it to share with grandchildren and to complete a set of L-N bench planes. You can live a full and satisfying woodworker life without ever owning one. It is like a block plane but beautiful. You be a he judge.
    I don't own one, but have thought about for just what you said. I'm the odd one out in that I don't really care for block planes except to chamfer. I'd like to think a little more heft than a block would be a #1 that you could use (and hold) for the same tasks.

I have the LV version and use it quite a bit for a specialized task. Namely planing bamboo strips into precise triangles to make bamboo flyrods. A 20 degree block plane is the typical tool used, but I find that after repeated use, my fingers get tired holding the front end down on the metal form. The Veritas version is mush more comfortable to use with the front knob. It's a very well made tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal View Post
    James,

I looked online at the Veritas. That’s the one designed as a low angle plane (like many block planes). The LN is a standard bevel down bench plane, like #2-8. Again, no actual experience with the Veritas. With its open design I’m sure it is easier to hold, but seems to duplicate the functions of a block plane at considerably more expense.

Blog Entries
    Sometimes it is the right plane for the job:

Planing the Saw Marks d2.jpg

For small jobs in small places there is nothing better.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Sometimes it is the right plane for the job:

Planing the Saw Marks d2.jpg

For small jobs in small places there is nothing better.

jtk
    Thats a great example for getting one.
    I have wanted one for the small boxes I make. Sometimes the wood is very difficult and requires a iron with a chip breaker.
    I currently use a no4 smoother it’s really oversized for the task.
    Aj

Blog Entries
    I have the Lee Nielsen #1, and for me it's perfect for two jobs: trimming drawers – works great in small spaces like a block plane but has the benefits of a chip breaker. Secondly, I find it useful when surfacing large panels to get into and smooth small depressions where I would otherwise have to remove a lot more of the surrounding would if I used a larger plane. I agree the tote is difficult to hold. I made a replacement tote that extends farther back behind the body of the plane and allows me to wrap my hands around the tote.

I use my Woodriver #1 Like a block plane and sizing small pieces like others have mentioned.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe