Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Please help. Going NUTS! -- Jointer

Norm, that last jointer pass is oh-so-very-thin and only to clean up the saw marks on the edge. There is little chance of the two edges going out of parallel if proper jointer technique is observed. Remember, we're talking one 1/32" pass here! Now, if you had a bunch of these to finalize, the planer is a great way to finish that last edge by ganging them up and running them all through at the same time...as long as you have a snipe-free planer or leave extra length...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Chris -

That is the way I do it. For exactly those reasons. You have the flexibilty to joint the edges either way to avoid tearout.

One other thought. If the table saw is set up correctly and there is a good blade in it, that last pass on the jointer is not required.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Norm, that last jointer pass is oh-so-very-thin and only to clean up the saw marks on the edge. There is little chance of the two edges going out of parallel if proper jointer technique is observed. Remember, we're talking one 1/32" pass here! Now, if you had a bunch of these to finalize, the planer is a great way to finish that last edge by ganging them up and running them all through at the same time...as long as you have a snipe-free planer or leave extra length...
    I agree on 1 "Thin Pass", but in some of the posts, as much as 1/4" was mentioned to be removed, and that's why I didn't think the procedure would work well, BUT, as I said, I'm a little "fuzzy" today and could have missed something.