Thread: Lumber prices stabilizing

Lumber prices stabilizing

Yesterday, my HD had 7/16" OSB for $24, down from a high (that I saw) of $64, but still triple the $7-8
    I paid two years ago when I built a new garage.

Studs were almost back to normal. It is stabilizing faster than I thought it would.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I was in HD a couple days ago and noticed that the 1/2" ply I buy on occasion for shop projects is still around its high water mark @ $55 a sheet. I expected it to be lower by now.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I was in Lowes yesterday, 2x4 studs still $7/ea, and larger dimensional stuff still ridiculous. Studs were $2.44 or something like that prior to this madness. Plywood was still ridiculous, OSB is coming back down but still high, but bins that have been empty for ages are full again. Even in the hardwood aisle there was stock again. Oak, poplar were back. The selection of cedar was full again, but still nowhere near normal price. I was able to get tempered hardboard and MDF at just a buck or two over what it was pre-madness. The place was festooned with drywall as well, all back in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by William Chain View Post
    I was in Lowes yesterday, 2x4 studs still $7/ea, and larger dimensional stuff still ridiculous. Studs were $2.44 or something like that prior to this madness. Plywood was still ridiculous, OSB is coming back down but still high, but bins that have been empty for ages are full again. Even in the hardwood aisle there was stock again. Oak, poplar were back. The selection of cedar was full again, but still nowhere near normal price. I was able to get tempered hardboard and MDF at just a buck or two over what it was pre-madness. The place was festooned with drywall as well, all back in stock.
    Hopefully the market will soon be flooded with oversupply and prices will plummet. One can hope..

I could only hope my local big box stores lower their prices soon. I have a small project coming up and it would surely lower my overall price!

They won't go down a lot until people stop buying it. Building is booming around here, except for the dock, and boathouse I'm putting off until materials come down.

Just checked online for my local big box. OSB is down roughly $50.00 (not a typo) a sheet from the summer high, a 2x4 stud has dropped about 60%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd McKinlay View Post
    Just checked online for my local big box. OSB is down roughly $50.00 (not a typo) a sheet from the summer high, a 2x4 stud has dropped about 60%.
    Same around here too, it's nice to see things get back down into the normal(ish) range.

Have a neighbors who is a commodities broker, he said people were really getting slammed who bought lumber on the board. No buyers to sell to. He said each contract was costing them 6,000 per day, and could not sell and get out, that they were trapped. Cost them dearly.

bought 8' 2x4 kd the other day at Lowes, $4.57 each. I think the stuff thats still high is that way due to when they bought it and priced accordingly. Hopefully the replacement lumber coming in later is priced lower.
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Yes, it's good to see that things are moderating with reduction in demand and increase in supply. I suspect that some products, especially those that are manufactured and shipped in, will continue to lag a little on price moderation because of the continued logistics issues out there relative to transportation. At any rate, for my personal interest, things coming down is a positive for my future shop building project.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...