Thread: Cabinet Hinge

Cabinet Hinge

Hi Everyone,

Just made 2 face frame cabinets (1.5" frame and plan to do a 1 1/4 overlay) and now I need to search for some hinges which I know nothing about
    I need a sturdy hinge with plenty of adjustability

Which brands or specific hinge would you recommend?
    Grass
    Blum
    Berta
    ..etc

Thanks in advance

Not sure that you will find one with that much overlay. Think you’ll have to search them all.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Blum has face frame cup hinges which will do 1 1/4" overlay. Look at models 38N and 38C. They even have soft-close versions.

Be aware that all face frame cup hinges have a big gap between the back of the door and the front of the face frame -- about 3/16". It is built in, and you can't adjust it away. A smaller drawback to these hinges is that you must unscrew the hinges to remove the door from the casework -- in contrast to regular cup hinges, where most let you unclip the door without tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gervasio View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Just made 2 face frame cabinets (1.5" frame and plan to do a 1 1/4 overlay) and now I need to search for some hinges which I know nothing about
    I need a sturdy hinge with plenty of adjustability

Which brands or specific hinge would you recommend?
    Grass
    Blum
    Berta
    ..etc

Thanks in advance
    Check out Blum hinges. They have 1+ overlay hinges. I recently used one for 1.25" overlay. If memory serves right it was 155 degree hinge. I left less than 1/16" gap between door and frame. This restricted angle of opening. I added some plastic clip (Blum provided) to limit it to 110 degree. Hinge has quick disconnect but not blue motion.

Model number on receipt says 175H710180 and 71B7550180. Pair costed CAD 25.38 inclusive of all taxes.

Note that I used it for a shop cabinet w/o face frame. Cabinet sides were made using 1.25" plywood and used the hinge to overlay door fully on the sides.

Learned something new. Not surprising though since I don’t use face frames. Should have kept my typing finger in my pocket.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

The Kreg Concealed Hinge Jig, which does a very nice job of drilling the cup and pilot holes, matches the Blum requirements for the hinges I was using, but carefully check the specifications for the hinges that you are using before buying the Kreg jig.

Measured on the Kreg jig:
    Cup hole diameter = 35 mm
    Cup hole depth = 12 mm (measured using tape measure, Blum spec =13 mm)
    Distance from door edge to near cup edge: 3 mm (per jig setting)
    Distance from door edge to pilot hole centers: 30 mm
    Distance between pilot hole centers: 45 mm
    Distance from cup hole centerline to pilot hole centers: 12.5 mm

Kreg recommended pilot hole diameter: 1/16 inch (for #6 x 3/8 inch wood screw)

Kreg recommended pilot hole drill bit depth stop: 1-1/4 inch (7/8 inch + 3/8 inch)

I used a more shallow pilot hole drill bit depth stop at 1-1/8 inches (7/8 inch + 1/4 inch) to be conservative.