Thread: Sawstop Jobsite Pro

Sawstop Jobsite Pro

Hello all,

Been a while..... Building a home in AZ and my son, who is already there, has a need for a table saw. He's using it for home improvement. I am now a very occasional furniture maker and will probably not move my equipment to AZ from CT but rather will buy new. The AZ house will have an extra-wide double deep garage that will house cars and tools. The subject saw will probably be safer for my son (I'll have him watch some kickback videos) and also appears to be very easy to set up. For my future needs, it will likely be good enough. Anyone have any experience with the Sawstop Jobsite Pro? Comments good and bad? Any suggestions for alternatives? Many thanks.....

Blog Entries
    I would not buy any brand of job site saw unless I had the requirement that it be completely portable, ie. regularly moving it from job site to job site. there are jus too many compromises compared to cabinet, hybrid or contractor saws.

I have a small shop (10' X 16') and need to fold up my SS Jobsite up just to move around the shop. I am getting more into hand tool work but still need to rip long boards. This if very long requires moving outside at times. So yes, I need a saw that moves. I suspect many that share a garage with a car need the same. To the OP question, I really like the saw both for accuracy and safety. It was spot on out of the box. Downside is the same as any jobsite saw, the table is not very big. If I get more shop space I may go bigger and sell the Saw Stop jobsite. I will bet I can recover a "fair" amount of what I paid so I have no regrets.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Clausen View Post
    I have a small shop (10' X 16') and need to fold up my SS Jobsite up just to move around the shop. I am getting more into hand tool work but still need to rip long boards. This if very long requires moving outside at times. So yes, I need a saw that moves. I suspect many that share a garage with a car need the same. To the OP question, I really like the saw both for accuracy and safety. It was spot on out of the box. Downside is the same as any jobsite saw, the table is not very big. If I get more shop space I may go bigger and sell the Saw Stop jobsite. I will bet I can recover a "fair" amount of what I paid so I have no regrets.
    You make a good point about the job site saw. I've heard many reports of SawStop products having very good resale value.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    You make a good point about the job site saw. I've heard many reports of SawStop products having very good resale value.
    I would think a contractor would scoop it up quickly if it looked like new and you knocked a few hundred off the new price, might even get full with todays supply chain issues.

Dave,

I have the older version of the SS Jobsite. The main difference between that and the pro is that the Pro appears to have a deeper table with more indeed before the blade.

overall, I am happy with the saw and have done several projects. The table top is small, but as I mentioned it appears the newer version has increased the size somewhat. The fence is accurate and has remained so. I use an incra miter gauge as the one it came with is not great. I have the dado cartridge and an 8” dado set and have not had issues making cuts on the saw. Dust collection is so-so (I just use a shop vac).

full disclosure: I am in the process of upgrading to another table saw (a slider). The change is not necessarily due to the performance of the sawstop, but due more to substantially increasing my workshop size, getting more involved in the hobby, and after much research wanting to switch to a euro slider instead of American style. Overall, it is a good saw and it is great for shop-space limitations.

I have had the older version of the SS Jobsite saw since around the time it came on the market. For me, it works well in my shop. It allows me to easily fold it up and move it out of the way when I don't need it. I have found that, once I tweaked the fence a tiny bit it's very accurate. Whenever I've done an actual measurement when ripping I've found it to be in sync with the rip fence scale. It has enough power for most work, including ripping 8/4 maple and oak. You can't just shove it through but, with a rip blade and a steady feed, it works well. The downsides of the saw are its miter gauge. I bought an Incra miter gauge soon after the saw. The second downside (and this would likely be true with any jobsite saw) is the distance between the front of the blade and the front edge of the table. It's very limited. I believe the Pro has a couple of inches more space, but it would still be limited. The reason it works for me is that I tend to rip smaller, shorter pieces. I have a track saw for cross-cutting and cutting up sheets. The third drawback was the table insert. I ended up buying an after market plate that works well. However, on the new Pro's I believe that has also been upgraded and is just fine on the saws I've seen.

A jobsite saw can never compete with a cabinet saw, but if it suits your needs for the work you do, the Sawstop Jobsite saw is a great saw.

At the price of the SS portable I would buy a used cabinet saw. The SS is nice in my opinion if you have the money and need a portable saw but very pricey

Thanks guys. Appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Sounds like it will work. I have a good miter gauge and track saw and plan to use the saw much as Randy does.....