Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Martin T17 Joinery saw back in service

Also curious what size belts are original size. Seems like mine are not exact fit....

Correy, I’ve always used the oil and grease Martin supplies that came with my newer machines. The oil seems like about a 20wt. They call the grease long term and it is white color. With the old machines the question is always what did the previous owner use. They might have a spec for the grease. I’ll take a look in the manuals.
    I can check my belt length. They suspend the motor (I think) so length should not be critical.

Hi joe, I get you on what ever they used previously. Who knows really. No squeeze out any where to guess. Isn't white typically lithium?
    I think , like you suggest the length of the belt not so critical. The belts that came with the saw don't seem to sit proper in the pulley v grooves.
    The saw seems to run smooth. It has so much mass that I am unsure if you would feel anything out of balance, or bad belt while at speed. What I am experiencing is a little vibration at the very end of the motor slowing to stop. The belts look pretty new. I think my friend's uncle maybe replaced them.20230501_074755[1].jpg

Pulleys could probably be brightened up too it looks like......
    Last edited by Correy Smith; 05-01-2023 at 1:50 PM.

Correy, when I was looking for the proper grease for a couple Martin machines Ed Papa recommended Kluber as an alternative to sourcing directly from Martin.

Correy,
    here is a picture of my belts. They are what came with the machine and not sure if they are correct but seem to be fine. I ran the numbers and believe yours are the same length but wider.
    a bad belt can cause vibration on slow down. On my T23 I ordered a new belt from Martin when I rebuilt it. It had a vibration on slowdown that I could never figure out. At one of our workshops a skilled machinest was here and he played with it and discovered the belt was bad.
    I put the original belt on that came with it and ran fine. I think the new belt from Martin had been sitting on the shelf for years and deformed.

Bad motor bearings can also do that. These are easy to change but a bearing heater helps for the install.

agree with John about the grease.

EA187CE6-E1F4-4CFD-994A-7720C400DDEF.jpg

That's really helpful Joe, John.
    Thank you for all your goodwill in providing info and supporting images.
    The manual makes it sound like pulling the motor is a breeze. I was kinda doubting the release motor and remove with two hands. My Aussie buddy was here and we was looking at it and the location trying to figure out how one person could lift the motor out of a hole on his knees lol. He reminded me that "two hands" is probably two people as they might say in Europe.

I think I am finally all set. Everybody's input has been extremely helpful and supportive. Many thanks.
    Joe, on my way out, is there a site that shows all the possibilities that your Rangate head you pictured on your T17 with dado ext. can do? The head specifically not necessarily on the T17.

Correy,
    the head in the picture above is a Garniga Multiuse head. Rangate has the newer version that is about the same. They should have info on their site. It is basically a large adjustable groover that can be used in many configurations with slots for grooving and edge rounding cutters. Also capable of furniture size tenons. Its only 160mm diameter so depth of cut is limited on the T17. 140 diameter tools will not raise above the table. I also have a 250 diameter 15 to 30 adj groover that I use for light tenoning on the shaper and as a groover in the saw. And just had my old Systematic dado set bored to 1.25 for the saw. It was my favorite from cabinet saw days.