Thread: Can I use carbide to cut copper?

Can I use carbide to cut copper?

Can I use carbide to cut copper?

I'm trying to figure out a way to make some copper inlays for an Arts and Crafts project.

Thanks
    Randy

Randy, Carbide will certainly cut copper. What kind of copper are you cutting? Sheet?, Round stock?, High speed steel(HSS) and M-2 cutters will cut copper as well. Copper has some unique qualities, it tends to be a bit 'gummy' when machining. A lubricant helps. also a deeper gullet on the cutter to alow better chip clearance. Copper is generally not that hard in regards to metals, unless it has some alloys in it. Cutter or blade speed, as with a saw, needs to be on the low end. A negative rake angle on the cutter will also help with the finish. You can sand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Downes
    Randy, Carbide will certainly cut copper. What kind of copper are you cutting? Sheet?, Round stock?, High speed steel(HSS) and M-2 cutters will cut copper as well. Copper has some unique qualities, it tends to be a bit 'gummy' when machining. A lubricant helps. also a deeper gullet on the cutter to alow better chip clearance. Copper is generally not that hard in regards to metals, unless it has some alloys in it. Cutter or blade speed, as with a saw, needs to be on the low end. A negative rake angle on the cutter will also help with the finish. You can sand it.
    Paul:

I want to make a copper ring with an outside diameter of 2". The ring would have an 1/8 inch border. The ring would be placed in a curly maple drawer front (in the center of the drawer). I plan to put walnut inside the ring. The drawer pull would be mounted within the center of the walnut (hope this description makes sense).

This is a design detail that is used in the Harvey Ellis/Stickley pieces.

What to you think?

Thanks
    Randy

Randy, I think you would have to make the rings out of flat stock. You can find 2" dia. round stock but it tends to be pricey. If you had some you might find someone with a lathe to make those rings. An alternative is copper plated steel. Any plating co. could copper plate something like this, it's part of the standard procedure for the chrome plating process. Are you going to clear coat the copper? If not it will get that nice verdigis (sp) patina after a while. I'd like to see the finished product. I particularly like figured maple, and I married a gal from Michigan's copper country.

Randy, would 2" copper pipe do? This could be cut on the band saw easily. To avoid deforming the pipe turn on the lathe a wood cylinder to fit snugly within the pipe and cut rings of whatever thickness you wish. If you epoxy the walnut you want to use in place before you start, the sanding and installation should be a straightfoward. Hope this helps.

Ed Weiser

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Weiser
    Randy, would 2" copper pipe do? This could be cut on the band saw easily. To avoid deforming the pipe turn on the lathe a wood cylinder to fit snugly within the pipe and cut rings of whatever thickness you wish. If you epoxy the walnut you want to use in place before you start, the sanding and installation should be a straightfoward. Hope this helps.

Ed Weiser
    Hello Ed:

Yesterday I found out about schedule "k" copper pipe (I am not a plumber type), it has a thicker wall. It also has on outside diameter of 2 1/8 inch. So yes, I think that may be a good option. I'm hoping that a 2 1/8" forstner bit with some schedule "k" copper pipe, could be good to go.

Now I just need to find a shop who may be willing to sell me a short length of the schedule "k" copper.

Thanks!
    Randy

Randy, you may want to check with a local plumber about a small section of Copper Pipe. They usually have scraps laying around, and they would probably just give you a small piece, or sell it to you for a couple of bucks. I know that the Depot and Lowes have short sections of Copper, but I am not sure if they handle pipe that size. A local mom and pop hardware store may cut a short piece for you too.........some of the independent Hardware Stores still sell by the foot. Good Luck, I would really like to see how the project turns out.......sounds like a very neat detail.