Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Box of planes arrived, today..

Cool Box of planes arrived, today..

Hope Buster Brown didn't strain anything....32.8 pounds.....inside?
    Gene's Planes, big box.JPG
    were 7 planes...1/3 of the shipping weight might have been the packing/bubble wrap...

Gene's Planes, front view.JPG
    Friend of mine decided to clean up his NEW shop...and also wanted one of these rehabbed and shipped back to him....I think I can do that...the plane?
    Gene's Planes, to be rehabbed.JPG
    A Stanley No. 4, with 3 patent dates, and the triangle logo on the iron...needs a bit of rust removal ( sole) maybe a touch-up of the iron, and bit of cleaning and shining up...then pack it back up to go back to AZ.

hmmm..Craftsman/Sargents?
    Gene's Planes, Craftsman pair.JPG
    1 complete, 1 for parts...

Rear decks?
    Gene's Planes, bigger planes.JPG
    2 No. 5 Stanleys....a No. 5-1/2c Stanley ( with 3 patent dates) and a Stanley No. 6c

Might take a few days to get these up to snuff?

Sooo...a HUGE THANK YOU!!!!!! goes out to my friend...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Nice haul Steven! We all need more friends like yours.

Very impressive! Hope you have many enjoyable hours restoring them. The ghosts of the original users are probably lurking about.

Ok....so far....it seems the No. 4 and the No. 5-1/2c are about the same age....type 11/12?

The 2 Stanley No. 5 Jacks seemed to be Type 16s

The Stanley No. 6c is a Type 17....hard rubber depth adjuster wheel, steel center. Iron has a 243 stamp....2nd Quarter of 1943.

The 2 Craftsman/Sargent duplex planes (?)....have no idea when Sargent made these for Sears. Will try to get a picture of the logos on their irons..One has it's depth stop and fence...2nd one does not.

Fun part ( other than the rehabs...) will be finding a spot to park 6 planes...

Ok..the "deal" of all this was to 1) thin The Herd...and 2) to rehab and ship back a Stanley No. 4.
    Gene's Planes, to be rehabbed.JPG

The only thin making this not a Type 11? That tall knob someone else had installed....everything else checks out as a Type 11..so...an evening in the Rehab Shop ( bit of a change from getting the knee rehabbed?)
    Gene's No. 4, rear view.JPG
    Three patent dates, frog adjust screw, small depth adjuster, rosewood handles..
    Gene's No.4, front view.JPG
    Bailey cast in front of the knob. "No." and "4" behind the knob....and that tall knob...at least the logo on the iron is correct..
    Gene's No. 4, Stanley Logo.JPG
    Iron was sharpened up to 1500 grit, edge needed to be squared to the side...got it almost there...test drive on some Ash...
    Gene's No. 4, Shavings of Ash.JPG
    Leaves a glass smooth surface, too...
    Gene's No. 4, glass smooth Ash.JPG
    Black arrow point out the direction the plane was going...
    Have also rehabbed ONE of them Sargent Made for Sears Craftsman planes...not up on "Craftsman" logos enough to tell how old it is...
    Gene's Planes, Craftsman pair.JPG
    The one in back is now like new...I switched the depth stop and fence over to the "New & Improved" plane...( might start looking around for a second fence and depth stop....)

Question now is....which plane to rehab next? 2 of them were missing the bolt that holds the iron and chipbreaker together....spares box provided new ones.

Stay tuned..

Plane...Stanley No.4 will get mailed out this morning....It kind of looked lonely sitting in the Medium Flat Rate box....so it was joined by a Stanley No.3 of the same era.....one of 3 I have in the shop....I think I can spare one.
    One of those #79s is done....will work on the other maybe today. Missing one depth stop, and the fence assembly....the ones I do have ...have the wrong bolts...might sell the one as a body...unless some needs one.

They were sold by Sears, back in the 1940s....they still have the scroll patterns on the sides, but also have that front "handle" cast up front....the one that is usually MIA...

The 2 Stanley No. 5 jack planes...are Type 16. The two Stanley No. 5 Jack planes down IN the shop are Type 19....hmmmm.

Stanley No. 6c...is a Type 17....and was missing the bolt that holds the iron to the chipbreaker...Spares Box provided one for it...and one of the Stanley No. 5, Type 16....

Trying to decide how "Orange" to make the inset on the lever caps, on the two Nickel plated, kidney #5 Lever caps. The No. 6c had a black lever cap....hmmm, goes with the black plastic/rubber Depth adjuster wheel...
    Both #79s are now rehabbed as well as I can get them...wonder how well they will fit in with that Wards/Stanley No. 78?

As for that Tall knobbed Stanley No. 5-1/2c....everything else on it seems to say "Type 11"....even the logo on the iron is correct. Hmmm...

Somebody is going to need a bigger til? Or "Pay Forward" to someone who might make use of a plane...or 2...

Pictures of the completed rehabs...Sargent #79/ Craftsman?
    Gene's Planes, rehab 79s, left.JPG
    And the right side..
    Gene's Planes, 79s, right.JPG
    Just have to find a box to place these 2 in...

The #79s are done....decided to start on the Stanley No. 5, Type 16s....Will need to repair one rear handle...as it has broke. clean break...may just super glue it back together...rest of those handles will need a refinish....sand off the old, way too thick stuff, and see what is under it...

Stay tuned....

Both #5 went to the shop, today...only one got rehabbed...Lots of parts to clean up..
    twin Jacks. #1's parts clean.JPG
    Spares box had to provide the bolt that holds the Iron to the chipbreaker...OEM was MIA. Wheel was pushing against the yoke, had it wedge between it and the back of the frog. Bolts were all cleaned up...as well as the frog......base?
    Twin Jacks, #1 base done.JPG
    Brass brush, a paint brush, with a bit of 3in1 oil in it ( I did NOT repaint this)and an old beater chisel to dig and scrape out 80+ years of crud....Looks a bit better...sides needed cleaned up..
    Twin Jacks, #1 side.JPG
    No pits, nor cracks were found....and the sole checked out as flat....just needed cleaned up...
    Twin Jacks, #1 sole.JPG
    Wiped down the handles with an oily rag...and after getting the iron sharp, and a polish to the chipbreaker....put this one back together..
    Twin Jacks, #1 rehabbed.JPG
    Iron was sharpened to just 1000 grit, for now....just a jack plane, right..(no camber, yet)

Which left it's "twin"
    Twin Jacks, 1 done, 1 to go.JPG
    handsome, ain't he?
    Got the frog off..
    Twin Jacks, #2, a nest mess.JPG
    Nasty.....also...I am using the rear handles own bolt as a clamp...
    Twin Jacks, Tote repair.JPG
    As it had a clean break...smoosh some glue...clamp the parts down tight..let it sit overnight..

Frog MIGHT need a little work?
    We'll see how Friday goes....and I still have a Stanley No. 5-1/2c, Type 11 to rehab, AND a Stanley No. 6c, type 17 as well..

Hmmm.....camber on one, or both of the No. 5 jacks? Maybe leave one straight, and one cambered?

Stay tuned...

Good Haul..Steve...Enjoy it!!!!
    Jerry

It would appear that only one of the No. 5 jack planes is a Type 16.....Will have to go and look up WHEN Stanley changed to the "y" frog seat.....hmmm....BTW, it is also done....handle came out great.

Too sore and tired for another trip down to the shop....will get pictures tomorrow...

Hmmmm...ok, another Type 19? With orange on the lever cap?
    Twin Jacks, Tote repair.JPG
    Last edited by steven c newman; 11-07-2021 at 12:02 AM.

Ok, Both of these are now done..
    The Jack Planes, rehab done.JPG
    And a look at the back porch...
    The Jack Planes, back porch.JPG
    And a Test Rack of Ash....
    The Jack Planes, test track.JPG

Seem to be able to make a few shavings. Seems it is a Type 19....Problem being?
    The Jack Planes, too many 5s.JPG
    I now have 3 Type 19 Jack Planes, and that Type 16.......and four by Millers Falls ( No. 14)

Is there a thing of having too many Jacks? About like too many clamps?

Ok...The No. 5s have been put away...which meant the existing No. 5-1/2 was set out...and the new arrival was parked beside it..
    Jumbo Jacks, old vs new.JPG
    There are a few differences, between these 2...besides almost 30 years...
    Jumbo Jacks, differences.JPG
    Depth adjuster wheel got bigger, era of the black painted handles ( since stripped back off) These are called Jumbo Jacks for a reason...and Millers Falls even made one..
    Jumbo Jacks, No. 15.JPG
    Known as a No. 15.
    Jumbo Jacks, 3 of them.JPG
    No. 15 will go to the ready-rack under the bench...so I can start the tear-down for the rehab..
    Jumbo Jacks, a size what.JPG
    Jumbo Jacks, 3 dates.JPG
    I think this might take a while..
    Jumbo Jacks, tear down started.JPG
    Ya think?
    Jumbo Jacks, this might take awhile.JPG

Iron width is 2-3/8" wide, as is the chipbreaker. Back of chipbreaker has been "Blued".....Handles are Rosewood....front knob MIGHT have been a replacement? Iron does have that "Triangle logo"

Knee is bothering me, today....will see how it goes..tomorrow...
    Stay tuned...

Ok, Raggy...Both the No. 5-1/2, T-18, and the No. 6c have irons with "Date Codes" stamped on them.....a Type 18 with a code of 140? The No.6c has the other markers from WW2...Date Code on it's iron is 243....

Interesting? Since the T-18s were from just AFTER WW2....1945-1947?

The No. 5-1/2c IS a Type 11, that the low knob had been replaced....NO Date Code is stamped on it's iron...and has the triangle logo.

The No. 5-1/2 HAD black painted handles....but, since 50% of that paint had flaked off, I went ahead and stripped back to bare Hardwood. Looks better, anyway.

Since when did Stanley stamp the model number on a frog? I know Sargent did on their planes....first I have seen it on a Stanley....

That "Type 18" also has a thicker casting for the base....same thickness as the wartime No. 6c? Or, did Stanley make an "H" model in the 5-1/2 size? Hmmm..?

All 4 of those Stanley No. 5s are smooth sole...I used to have a "c" model, but it was a Sargent VBM No. 414c.....and none of the 4 Millers Falls No. 14s are "c" models....should I feel "deprived"?

Can never have too many jack planes....just add a little camber to a couple....a little MORE camber to one...would have to look first, when picking up a Jack plane for use....A couple have no camber.

Will have to find out which is better...The Stanley No. 6c, Type 9...or...the No. 6c, Type 11......There is also a No. 6, Type 10, but it is just a smoothy...

The Millers Falls planes in the shop? No. 8s, No. 9 (4 of them!) a No. 11 Junior, 4 No. 14s and that No. 15.....And a "few" block planes..

Will see how today goes along...might have that No. 5-1/2, T-11 rehabbed? On a Monday?