Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lubing A Sawstop

You might also check, the saw stop is bad about saw dust gathering in the rear of the rear posts. Look in the Manuel, it addresses that issue. I found that a vacuum is better to remove it than the blow gun (compressed air)

the first one , saw stop I owned (early model). It had a door on the right plus I think another. This later saw has a Mickey mouse plastic door (cover) on the left. I regret selling the first SS due to moving. I think it was a better saw than this later model. I also had a Powermatic 66, advertised both, not one hit on th PM 66. I could have sold 20 saw stops. I just couldn’t afford to move both. Moved to NY from Colorado, PM66 sold here in NY really fast. The PM 66 in my opinion is a better saw, larger top, heavier trunnions it just doesn’t have a rifling blade and the hotdog electronics. O’well I got older but not smarter I guess.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Glanton View Post
    Marine grease is great except for the arbor. It makes threading the nut off/on quite hard relatively. I've been just keeping it clean with no grease. I'm not sure this is correct but much friendlier to use.
    I've never greased the arbor threads & see no need to do so. Never done it with any table saw.

Did this like a year ago using recommended marine grease on the video. Removed old grease and works like new again. Video highlights areas and how to get to them. Very good instructions just like you would expect from Sawstop.

I am due for this I guess. My sawstop is from 2006. Thanks for the heads up.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

5. Really? That's very reassuring Frank, Thanks so much.

Just to close the loop on this discussion, the teeth in the rear elevation pinion gear had quite a bit of very hard dry sawdust in the teeth. A wire brush wouldn’t get it out and I had to pick it out with a finishing nail. I cleaned and lubed everything else per the video and now it’s smooth as silk.

Blog Entries
    Ken, thanks for starting this thread. It's a good reminder to not let things get too gunked up. I will definitely give my saw the treatment this winter.

The video makes it very easy, good luck!