Thread: Jet JDP-17 or new Rigid 15" drill press?

Jet JDP-17 or new Rigid 15" drill press?

I'm tired of my 1/2hp jet bench top drill press.

I found locally a used Jet JDP-17 drill press. New they are $1200 BUT a few years ago they were only $800. Seller asking $599 but I'm going to try for $450.

However, it's a 3/4hp which is the same power as a Ridgid 15" drill press. The Jet is 16 speeds vs 12 on the Ridigd. Jet has a laser and likely more travel. The table is also larger.

Any thoughts? For my needs I think 3/4hp is enough.

If the Jet is cheaper and has a bigger table/more spindle travel then for me Jet would win. At the end of the day they both drill holes.

Blog Entries
    I certainly enjoy the additional swing on my 17" drill press. I upgraded from a 14". The 14" went slower which I do miss. There are folks out there that never set their chuck speed to match the job. They just change bits and go at it. If this is OK with you then it doesn't matter. 2500 RPM or better at the high end is OK but if one machine went down to 150 RPM and the other bottomed out at 300 RPM I'd go for the slower machine regardless of capacity. If they both have about the same lowest speed I'll take the greater swing ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

No contest, go for the Jet. I have that model and the woodworking-oriented table is terrific. They use the same one of the Powermatic press.

The Rigid unit has what looks to be a table that one could circulate coolant with, I think. Not much use for woodworking.

The Jet is a decent tool and the larger swing seals the deal. My Jet DP is actually the only tool from my original "major tool purchase" back in the early 2000s to outfit my shop initially at the old property. It does everything I ask of it. Would I like an up-scale unit with electronic variable speed? Yes, but not enough to pay for it. . The Jet is a solid tool. You can also kick it up a notch at some point with a better chuck, etc., if you so choose.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the ridgid in my shop, bought it a long time ago. It and the little ridgid oscillating spindle/belt sander hang out next to each other. They are a constant reminder that I didn't need to spend lots of $ to get a task done. I don't remember how much they cost, but their return on investment rank for tools in my shop is certainly near the top.

I was teetering on the Nova press vs something else decision when I saw the ridgid at home depot for something like 15% of the Nova price. Figured I couldn't go wrong at that price and it could go to the farm shop if I hated it. It's had to convince me to not buy a "better" press every day since. My conclusion is, I really don't need or want more press capabilities. You'll want to build fenced table for it, but that's a fun project anyhow. You really can't go wrong with either.

Another +1 for the Jet JDP-17. We have it here in our community workshop and it's an absolute champ. We purchased it after a member's son told us of having it in his shop for over 3 years with absolutely no issues and rock solid performance. That is proving true here.