Thread: To Buy a Kitchen Cabinet

To Buy a Kitchen Cabinet

I have need of a cabinet. A standard manufactured unit will work, I don't want to build it, just buy and install it. Where to buy?

Not quite standard,
    36" wide with double doors, could be full height or multiple
    84" tall with toe kick
    12" deep
    4" wide trim piece that I will scribe and trim to the wall. 39" wide space
    Simple frame and panel doors
    Partial or full overlay
    Painted

Tom, one suggestion would be a Kraftmaid cabinet, which you can order from Home depot or a Kraftmaid dealer. Being 12" deep I assume you want shelves and not roll outs.

As an example, U361284 BUTT.ET.SH is a 36 wide, double door (actually 4 doors as the lower section and upper have separate doors), 12 deep with separate toe kick. Then you would order a 3" or 6" 84" filler. They have any kind of door you could want, and painted white or whatever.

So pretty much exactly what you want. Downside: It will take a while to get, especially now.

I'm most familiar with Kraftmaid, and they have a very broad semi-custom line, but I imagine most any semi-custom vendor can do what you want.

Also, if you don't mind assembling it, check conestoga cabinets on the web for a wide variety of semi-custom RTF cabinets. I've used them a number of times, and cabs are high quality.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Thanks Paul, just placed a request with Conestoga. It was educational just filling out the request.

I'll suggest that if the space allows, slightly deeper than 12" is a good idea...same as with uppers. 12" cabinets can't actually hold many things folks want to keep in the cabinets setting flat on the shelf. A 14" deep unit, however...much more versatile. But as I started out this comment, the space and use does matter. 'Just something to consider.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Try Ikea - see how the other side does things!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Try Ikea - see how the other side does things!
    I was going to suggest that, but the OP mentions that this might be an unusual configurations. However, Ikea cabinets are really good in many respects (not the cheap ones...the higher end ones) and I've used them multiple times over the years. But you have to be able to use components in the available sizes.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I was going to suggest that, but the OP mentions that this might be an unusual configurations. However, Ikea cabinets are really good in many respects (not the cheap ones...the higher end ones) and I've used them multiple times over the years. But you have to be able to use components in the available sizes.
    There are some truly amazing things you can do with the Sektion stuff if you use a bit of imagination: I used them to build some truly odd-dimension bathroom vanities. Sometimes having a cabinet in pieces to begin with (vs a solid glued-together lump) is a feature, not a bug.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

hey Tom

once helped a friends son put a Craftmaid kitchen in he ordered from lowes. While it is anti the type of work I like I had to respect it for what it was. Function at a fair price. It looked good and it has lasted over the years. Its all designed for maximum efficiency but it was good value for what he paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    There are some truly amazing things you can do with the Sektion stuff if you use a bit of imagination: I used them to build some truly odd-dimension bathroom vanities. Sometimes having a cabinet in pieces to begin with (vs a solid glued-together lump) is a feature, not a bug.
    Oh, I agree...there can be some really good flexibility with the system!
    --

Pretty sure a lot of the IKEA stuff is unobtainium these days too...
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Pretty sure a lot of the IKEA stuff is unobtainium these days too...
    I can't speak for the cabinets...they did have the less expensive ones I used for our laundry area and my temporary shop awhile back with no issue, but some other products I've bought or attempted to buy were hit or miss on availability. They are working the logistics nightmare, too, just like all the vendors!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I can't speak for the cabinets...they did have the less expensive ones I used for our laundry area and my temporary shop awhile back with no issue, but some other products I've bought or attempted to buy were hit or miss on availability. They are working the logistics nightmare, too, just like all the vendors!
    A bit hard to tell how they'll be affected. When I was doing my kitchen a few years back, I noticed that the "sheet goods" (cabinets, draw fronts, etc) came from several different locations even for the same part number. What was striking was that, regardless of where the actual product was produced, the gloriously complex packaging all came from China.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.