Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Starrett disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ballent
    Dev, have you tried the Incra Guaranteed squares? The blade is milled from 1/4" Al and they are guaranteed to be square to .001. I recently bought the 7" version and it is a great addition. They even screw the whole thing down while milling it to make sure that it does not move around. Oh yeah USA made
    This information does not help John much but I am glad to know about it. Thanks Michael! Allen

John same problem you have. I had to call them to get them to respond. Sent 4 e-mails with no response. I sent it back and got my money back. Took about a month to get that to. I will never buy from Starret again.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl
    John same problem you have. I had to call them to get them to respond. Sent 4 e-mails with no response. I sent it back and got my money back. Took about a month to get that to. I will never buy from Starret again.

Hmmm...doesn't sound too encouraging here, even after a phone call! That's just totally poor CS!!! Given all the facts herein, I may try to call them, but only once! If they can't resolve it to my satisfaction, that's the last of my (our) money they get, as well! Which is too bad, because I've been quite happy with their combination square, but if they can't make this right for me, then it's on to Brown & Sharpe for the protactor and any other critical measuring tools I may need!

Thanks much for all the input, guys! Greatly appreciate it!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Hey buddy,

Sorry about the tape. I got one as a gift several years ago, and like it. The battery quit a year or so ago, but it's still a very nice tape. That said, I think you simply need to go the reseller and ask for a replacement, if it was online, there should be a record somewhere, if it was local, they still might exchange it for a new one.

While Starrett should repsond to the email since they offer the option, a digitape is sort of a non-repairable item that it's easier to replace then try to fix. My guess is they would tell you to return or send it in to them for repair/repalcement.

If nothing else, use it as is, and rather then get upset at Starrett, just think about your daughter picking it out for you, gotta bring a smile to your face.

I still think the original retailer is you best course of action. Most have liberal Christmas return policies until the end of January.

Good Luck Buddy - John

Quote Originally Posted by John Weber
    Hey buddy,

Sorry about the tape. I got one as a gift several years ago, and like it. The battery quit a year or so ago, but it's still a very nice tape. That said, I think you simply need to go the reseller and ask for a replacement, if it was online, there should be a record somewhere, if it was local, they still might exchange it for a new one.

While Starrett should repsond to the email since they offer the option, a digitape is sort of a non-repairable item that it's easier to replace then try to fix. My guess is they would tell you to return or send it in to them for repair/repalcement.

If nothing else, use it as is, and rather then get upset at Starrett, just think about your daughter picking it out for you, gotta bring a smile to your face.

I still think the original retailer is you best course of action. Most have liberal Christmas return policies until the end of January.

Good Luck Buddy - John
    Hey Dude, where 'ya been hiding???? Good to see you're still around! Drop me a line sometime!

Anyhow, I dug around and, lo and behold, included in the Digitape instructions is a phone number to Starrett. A "toll free" number to Starrett!!! I will call tomorrow and see which way they want to go on this. Guess I'm a stubborn old coot and if I buy (OK, even if my daughter does!) something in good faith, I expect it to work and, if it doesn't, they should be the ones to make good on it. Otherwise, yes it is a nice tape but, thrice the price of one w/o the DRO! Just another "live and learn" lesson, I guess. My daughter was able to come up with a receipt and, if we can't get a resolution through Starrett, I'll take the dern thing back, buy another Stanley and never buy another Starrett product. (Well, at least NOT a new one!) In the end, a pretty simple lesson, me thinks!

Hey, hope to "see" you around a bit more often!!!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!

Defeating Those Automated Telephone Systems

Sounds like John has temporarily solved his "phone" problem; but his comments reminded me of a site I discovered recently.

http://www.paulenglish.com/ivr/

This site lists some of the major companies in the US and the codes necessary to bypass the automatic answering system and directly contact a real human being. I tested one number on it and it worked just fine....can't say if they all work or not?? Starrett isn't on the list; but this may be helpful to someone in the future went dealing with some other big company.

and get wo batteries. I have had two and presently have one (other is lost.) My only problem has been the battery and the LED or LCDs or whatever they use for display. If yu leave the unit in the car during winter, do not exopect it to work until warmed up. If you leave the unit in the car suring the summer, expect the display to be blackened until it comes back toroom temperature. Other than that, works fine. Call on phone and get it taken care of.
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Jim, et all, who have suggested calling them directly: I may indeed do that, although it would be under extreme duress and against my better judgment! Again, I think it's just adding insult to injury, not to mention yet another cost to me for a product already purchased once. I guess in my way of thinking, if a company is not setup properly to handle inquiries by a method they provide, don't set it up at all!!! I guess my "luck" regarding contacting companies via email or their provided venue has generally been positive and, given that Starrett purports to be the type of company they are, I would've expected the same from them. Hah! That's what I get for thinking!
    I agree with you on this John. For me, email is much more convenient than phoning and it provides a better audit trail. Over time, I am learning which companies provide good email support and am gravitating to them over the compaies that seem to ignore thier email.

I feal really sorry for your daughter and hope that you get this resolved. I guess that I would recommned a phone call in this case because of her involvement.

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    I also had a LV 16', which I just threw out, because I found it's NOT accurate!!!
    John, did you tell Lee Valley about this? I bet that they would take it back no matter how long you have had it and even if you don't have a receipt.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    John, did you tell Lee Valley about this? I bet that they would take it back no matter how long you have had it and even if you don't have a receipt.
    Frank. No I hadn't but, after re-reading my note regarding it, I did indeed fish it out of my trash bin and intend to do so! Your note here kind of seals the deal on contacting LV, as they have always been a very upstanding outfit to deal with, unlike my experience thus far with Starrett. It would indeed be nice to get an accurate replacement for it, as I really like the feel and action of the tape and it's always been my "go to" instrument, because it's the "Right to Left" version and, it's also the "Blindman's Tape", making the readout easier for me. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Meijer
    Sounds like John has temporarily solved his "phone" problem; but his comments reminded me of a site I discovered recently.

http://www.paulenglish.com/ivr/

This site lists some of the major companies in the US and the codes necessary to bypass the automatic answering system and directly contact a real human being. I tested one number on it and it worked just fine....can't say if they all work or not?? Starrett isn't on the list; but this may be helpful to someone in the future went dealing with some other big company.

Many thanks, Randy!!! That's one handy list to have! I've gone ahead and added it to my "Favorites"!!!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Thumbs down Update...(Long)

Well, here's where I got today: I called the 800 number they included with the instruction sheet. Once dialed, I got some pre-recorded message to go to this site: http://www.vanity800.com/ ! Nothing else on the message, just that! Man, talk about feeling totally and completely feeling betrayed by a company one would never expect this from!!!

So now I'm completely ticked off, to put it very lightly. So, I dig out my calling card and call the dang LD number on their site. I finally got to talk to someone in Tech Support BUT, this fella does not deal with the Digitape. He does tell me that the digital readout on it "will have 1/16th" plus or minus" tolerance! Huh???? So, over the course of even a small project, you can expect something to the tune of 1/2" or so off??? Even worse on bigger projects! Eventually, I tell him about the little battery icon, which from Day 1 displays with a strike-through on it. He says he can transfer me to the hardware area, where they can take care of me. (Still on my dime, of course.) I did ask if there was an 800 number I could call, but he said they don't have a "public 800" number and that was by decision of Mr. Starrett!!!!

I get transfered, but only to some receptionist who then says she'll transfer me to the lady "who takes care of the Digitape inquiries". Fine. Sure enough, I get there and get her voice mail!!! I duly left my name, number and short blurb regarding needing some type of resolution on this tape they produce. Need I even say that I never got a call back???

Now, strangely enough, after I started this thread, I went back to their site and dropped another email and included the url for this thread. Well, lo and behold, I got an email from them today!!! (After my call, of course!) Here's the total dialog from their reply:
    Your digitape should be returned to Starrett Evans rule division 6555Fain street Charleston S.C.29406 please include a note describing the problem and your return address

Huh???? First, absolutely no explanation of what their intent is. No apology or anything regarding the trouble I'm having with their product. Finally, this item has already been paid for AND shipping has already been paid once to get it to our house. Now I'm going to pay shipping again for their defective product with absolutely no idea of what they plan on doing about it??? I think NOT!!! I did reply to their email telling them that this "solution" was NOT acceptable, particularly having to pay to ship the item back to them. Again, it should come as no surprise that I did NOT get a response to that, either.

So, bottom line: I will check at the brick & mortar store tomorrow, armed with the original billing/shipping info and see if they won't give me a refund on it. My daughter has already said that I should just go ahead and pick out something else with the money. I explained to her that it is absolutely NOT her fault and that even companies with a big name can treat their customers very poorly. She understands and is good with it.

In the meantime, I'll find another 16' tape to my liking and check it against the Stanley. I can guarantee you that it will NOT be a Starrett, nor will I ever purchase another new Starrett tool! Just for grins, I did check at the Brown & Sharpe site and wouldn't you know it? They do indeed have an 800 for both, sales and Tech Support. And, if by some rare chance, anyone at Starrett is reading this, you should be totally and completely ashamed of yourselves for treating people like garbage. It's terrible when a person tries to buy a US product should get kicked in the teeth when he/she receives a defective piece!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

John,

Ouch, wow they hit your hot-button. Anyway, B&S makes excellent tools as well. I would still just return or exchange it and not fool with Starrett.

I've been busy as heck, sort of fell off the forums awhile. I did pick up a new little LN at the show last weekend, so at least the fleet is growing a little, even if nothing made out of wood ever leaves the shop.

John

Sorry to hear about the problem John. I am with you though, if a company is going to pretend to operate on the internet and make avaialble those capabilities then they should respond in the same manner as a phone call.
    Hope it all works out!

Corey

I'm sorry for you and your daughter. I know she is disappointed. But, thanks for keeping us apprised of the situation.

I know any company can drop the ball. However, when one walks around it after dropping it, well...
    Every deed plants a seed.