Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's alive again!

It's alive again!

I posted this in a couple of others places but what the heck. I am so excited to have a lathe again! I looked for a long time and finally decided on old iron. Wanted something substantial and I settled on the Yates-American/ Brodhead Garret J-lines as a lathe that would meet my requirements. After a few months watching Ebay and searching the used machine dealers web sites I found one that appeared to be in good shape.

I managed to purchase the lathe at a reasonable price and get it shipped to me. Lot of stuff happened meantime and it has sat for months in my shop. I finally got it running yesterday. I bought a 3 phase unit so I could use a VFD on it. I installed it with minor problems and fired it up last night. I decided I had to try to turning something before I put it in place, so I just kicked the tools aside and found a blank I made months ago.

Nothing to really brag about other than the fact I am able to turn again! I find turning so relaxing and such a stress releaver. I went ahead and put the lathe in place, now I have to pull 220 to it. But I am so excited to be able to turn again!

Jeff that is a hunk of iron. Your turning looks pretty good. Glad you are back in the turning business.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Obviously and oldie but goodie. Looks like a great addition to me.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Hey That looks familiar!! Only mine was green and has rounder bases.

Converted mine to DC power though and rigged it for outbard turning.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations Jeff. That'll work.

Ernie

I don't see a broom hanging on the wall??

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mickley
    Hey That looks familiar!! Only mine was green and has rounder bases.
    SO THAT WAS YOUR LATHE! I have seen it's picture before. I saved it because of the outboard turning rig. Your partial responsible for me buying this one. At some point I want to do an outboard turning set up too.

If I had to guess, yours is/was a Yates American? I think mine is a latter 'improved' version. I was looking for one like yours but never found it.

I don't see a broom hanging on the wall??

I am still working on buying the accessories.

SO THAT WAS YOUR LATHE! I have seen it's picture before. I saved it because of the outboard turning rig. Your partial responsible for me buying this one.
    LMAO!!!! Boy its not often I get called responsible

I like my lathe, only thing I wish I had done different, when I had the new shaft made I wish I had put left hand threads on the outboard side instead of right hand threads. Other than that, I have more money tied up in it than its worth for a lathe that size. $400 in a new motor, $250 in new bearings and new shaft.

One of the problems I had was that on the original shaft the threads where too long and the chuck and face plates where not seating correctly. One of the reasons I had a new shaft made. That and we changed the bearing size on the ID of the bearing. The factory ones are double row sealed ball bearing and where and odd size. Still available but the where twice the cost of the ones Replaced them with. If I remember right the new ones have an ID bigger by .050. Ended up being a standard bearing.

I'm a little late replying. But yea, I like your lathe too. I do have one question about it. HOW TALL ARE YOU?? That lathe must be hard to use for an average person to use. Not to mention a short one.

I am looking for a spindle adaptor for mine so I can use my chuck. I think I am going to really like my lathe. It's low on the list but I have plans for outboard turning much like yours. Just don't want to raise the lathe that high.

Jeff
    I'm only 6 foot 1 but I can't work bent over at all. On the jet lathe if I used it for more than an hour or so I was shot for the day. Lower Back problems.

Its realy not that tall, I only raised it 8 inches Of course I suppose we could get you stool You could do an outboard setup like mine just don't add the risers under the legs

Wow Jeff, that things not going anywhere when you chuck up a big peice o wood!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mickley
    Of course I suppose we could get you stool You could do an outboard setup like mine just don't add the risers under the legs
    ROFL Just buid me a platform to stand on. LOL Maybe I can use a bucket.

I haven't turned on mine yet. Just that one peice But I think the height will be OK. I have a drawer full of chisels needed handles so that will be my first project since it is spindle work and I can do it between centers. Have a bunch of dogwood that has been laying around for a while now I plan on using.

I have power pulled over to it and NOW that I have the correct plug and receptical. So as soon as I get this report printed... well just finished. So as soon as I get this report in an envelope and addressed I am headed to the shop! Once I get these installed I am going to something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton
    ROFL Just buid me a platform to stand on. LOL Maybe I can use a bucket.
    nahh ya don't want to do that, it aint worth a hoot Don't sak how I know

OK, I won't ask. BUT! If I ever post a photo from my shop and you see base cabinet with a big burned spot on one door... you can't ask about that.

Deal?

As promised I finally turned something tonight. A couple of chisel handles out of some spalted dogwood. I am still finishing up our new house, I have moved twice in the last two years and I keep moving these dogwood logs with me. Tonight I finally got to saw into one and see what was in there.

BTW the handles are reversed. The smaller one goes on a smaller chisel that is not in the picture.

DEAL!!!!

Nice handles, careful your getting pulled over to the dark side