Thread: I couldn't stand it any longer

I couldn't stand it any longer

Ok the process has started. I went to the shop today to finish up a project and there it was......that tree frog "Green" Oliver. I just copuldn't take it any more. I put the job at hand on hold and grabed the sander and started to work around noon today. I just come into the house and I still like a little sanding to got yet but at least i can see what it use to look like......Hopefully next weekend i can at least get a little paint on it but it doesn't stick out as bad now...
    Attached Images Attached Images

wow.. them are some trunions...

lou

Good for you Reg! Looks like you put a fair dent into it already. Good luck and keep us posted!
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

Lou this thing is a hoss. It was all i could do to just get it apart. I will have to get some help to get it back ogether. Its been a long day for sure Bill. I just hope i can remember all the pieces.......I tryed to put things together and keep them with their parts. This thing has it's own drift pins to pull it to the boltholes so it realines itself to the correct position. The motor weighs about 75-100 lbs alone

Good progress, Reg! Also, though it may be a little late for you now, I do have one suggestion: Being the "all thumbs mechanic" I am, I have found it useful to take numerous digital pics of each assembly as I dis-assemble it and keep the pics in order. Far too often, these little projects get delayed for one reason or another and having to rely on my failing memory leads to disaster. A quick reference to the pics really helps refresh the old gray cells!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Reg, John's adivce is good. Also, zip-lock baagies and a marker. Put the smaller stuff in a baggie and mark it.
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

Quote Originally Posted by Reg Mitchell......Hopefully next weekend i can at least get a little [U
    pain[/U] on it but it doesn't stick out as bad now...
    I admire your undertaking. The quote above wouldn't be some kind of Freudian slip would it?
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

good suggestions guys, i do have everything layed out on the top in groups and taged now if the grimmlins don't come and clean the shop up i think i will be ok. the plastic bag thing and camera are really good ideas. I think I will try to remember it for the next project

If your really beyond normal and serious about bringing the old girl back to factory new....

Sherwin Williams Opex Laquer
    Part Number L61-XXG-5733-4331

You may have to do the kabuke dance on the phone to all these young newbies who know know nothing. But this is the actual paint used on paint olivers in Grand Rapids, MI.

Chuck Hess has posted his Dupont Imron reciepe on OWWM.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    She's gonna be nice!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I sure hope so its a lot of work.....relly a bit more than i bargoned for but hey its the l;ast one i will ever buy and when i'm through breathing someone will get a nice saw.
    I will be takeing the motor to work this week to have the windeing checked. I really don"t want to have to take this thing apart again.
    Thanks for the numbers Dev