Thread: DC Ducting for modded HF 2HP dust collector.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

DC Ducting for modded HF 2HP dust collector.

My old Central Machinery 2HP dust collector has been quite heavily modified, and I am considering what, and how to upsize the ducting.

At present, the configuration is thus.

2009 ish Central Machinery 2HP dust collector + Wynn .5 micron cartridge filter + Wen impeller + Thien baffle in the DC separator ring.

I am using the stock 5x4x4 wye fitting on the DC to 2 separate 4" S&D runs, one high, one low.

I am considering upsizing to a single 5" or 6" main and branching to 4" at the tools.

Unfortunately 5" is not a common suze for duct fittings at least as I can find online, there is no shortage of stupid expensive dust collector spiral pipe specific stuff, but if I had funds for that, I would be buying a big Clear Vue cyclone. Also 6" S&D fittings are stupid expensive by comparison to 4", at least from what I see online, I need to get my tail to Lowes as that is where I got my 4" as it was cheapest there, and sheet metal fittings are configured for flow backwards to how a dust collector would work.

Let's say I need the following drops off of the main.

#1. Table saw blade guard.
    #2. Table saw blade shroud under cabinet (2.5"
    #3. Shared 4" for workbench / benchtop tools / router table fence.
    #4. Router under table enclosure.
    #5. 4" split to dual 2.5" for bandsaw.
    #6. Miter saw cabinet / blade guard.
    #7. Lathe.
    #8. Drill Press / Mortising machine bench. I can move hose tool to tool...

I am seeing LOTS of conflicting information on if a cyclone separator conversion, like a Super Dust Deputy, or Super Dust Deputy XL compared to a Thien separator, the cyclones allegedly flow better, BUT that shows in separate units, not in the separator ring units. What little info I have on the separator ring units like mine, they say it flows slightly better than say a SDD at least until the filter starts getting dirty, say after 100 gallons of dust. I clean my filter after every dump of the collector, so not sure why that would be an issue. If you have ideas, links, data etc... I would LOVE to see them.

Anyway, I was hoping to see what ducting options there are that will work well, that may come in at a more affordable cost... But I also want the best performance I can eke out of this little HF DC. And mind you, I can easily swap the inlet flange to a 6" should that be the way to go...

So ideas on ducting this for max efficiency would be very helpful. As it sits I am thinking I should go with 5" to the existing splitter and stay with dual 4" runs, so I can capture upper and lower. I am just wondering if this is the best I can do...
    Last edited by David Hostetler; 11-30-2021 at 9:25 PM.
    Trying to follow the example of the master...