Thread: 0-clearance ts & corian

0-clearance ts & corian

has anyone ever used corian to make 0-clearance ts inserts? can it be worked with the usual wwing tools?

jerry
    jerry

Corian can be machined with woodworking tools. It is very hard, but sharp tools do the job.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Sure, you can use any carbide tipped woodworking tools to work this stuff. But unless you gotta have a rasberry peach parfait insert, is there any reason why your considering corian for the insert? These get buggered up fairly quickly so having a few made from scrap is usually the cheapest and best way to go. When you need a zero clearance insert, you just toss the old one and grab a new one.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

I make mine from 5/8" MDF and sand it down a bit on the drum sander. Works fine.

I get scrap corian from a local countertop shop. I rough out the blanks on the bandsaw attach my template and trim them up with a flush trim bit on the router table. I then drill and tap the four corners and insert set screws for leveling. Use a forstner bit to drill a finger hole and you're in business. Simple to make and the price is right.
    "The idea that "violence doesn't solve anything" is a historically untrue and immoral doctrine. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. People that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."

I have a set of corian inserts, 1/4" dado, 1/2" dado, 3/4" dado, and not pictured is the standard blade insert.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Corian? Interesting thought. I generally use 12mm BB ply. For those that have used both, is the corain an advantage?
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

I also use corian for inserts. The main advantage as I see it is that it is heavy and stays in the slot. It is also stable and is not affected by the high humidity in this area like the wooden inserts I made previously. I found that it cut and routed just fine but sure makes a mess to clean up the shavings.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Alan,
    The biggest advantage for me is that I get corian scraps for free. My local countertop shop gives me all the scrap corian I can haul. Some pieces are actually decent sizes 16"x24" or whatever but most are sink cut outs.
    "The idea that "violence doesn't solve anything" is a historically untrue and immoral doctrine. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. People that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."

thanks for all the info - the only reason i'm thinking of it is that i suddenly have a source for lots of scrap pieces - and that peach parfait one will go well with the overall decor.

jerry
    jerry

I've used Corian, and it works quite well. Brittle, and breaks if you drop it. DAMHIKT

Lately, though, since I ran out of Corian, I've been using pieces I cut from a $10.00 plastic cutting board (kitchen variety) that I bought at WalMart. It's HDPE plastic, and half an inch thick - perfect for inserts. The $10.00 size made six TS inserts.

I haven't used it, but I'd gladly use some for inserts if it fell in my lap. (I currently use 1/2" MDF when I make them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney
    I've used Corian, and it works quite well. Brittle, and breaks if you drop it. DAMHIKT

Lately, though, since I ran out of Corian, I've been using pieces I cut from a $10.00 plastic cutting board (kitchen variety) that I bought at WalMart. It's HDPE plastic, and half an inch thick - perfect for inserts. The $10.00 size made six TS inserts.
    jim, i even turn suspension bushings for my old cars out of this stuff. (hdpe)works great.......02 tod

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney

Are there any issues with scorching or melting when you're working this stuff? Anything to be careful about? (I'm going to take a look at my old IKEA cutting board when I get home - It's probably the same as the WalMart ones.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Donalek
    Are there any issues with scorching or melting when you're working this stuff? Anything to be careful about? (I'm going to take a look at my old IKEA cutting board when I get home - It's probably the same as the WalMart ones.)

I haven't had any problems with machining it. I use the band saw to rough it to shape, then a flush trim bit in the router table to finish it. (use the original metal insert as a template). No burning or melting so far.