Thread: Digital /angle Gauges

Digital /angle Gauges

Recently I found i had difficulty matching a stair stringer angle to my miter gauge. The little Wixey cube angle gauge read out tenths of a degree but I had difficulty matching the readout to a mitre gauge. I'd like to hear from others experience who use digital angle gauges [with arms].

I'm having some difficulty in understanding what you're trying to measure.
    If it's the rise and run angle of an existing stringer, lay a straightedge or long level along the noses of the stringer and your angle finder should read the angle Remember, you are looking at it as if you were checking the blade angle of your table saw.
    I'm spoiled by having a 5' electronic read-out Stabila level that gives me that information, but I can't imagine using it to build stairs. The only thing I could get for building using that method would be a ramp, and there are formulas for that.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruperto Mendiones View Post
    Recently I found i had difficulty matching a stair stringer angle to my miter gauge. The little Wixey cube angle gauge read out tenths of a degree but I had difficulty matching the readout to a mitre gauge. I'd like to hear from others experience who use digital angle gauges [with arms].
    Those digital angle checkers only work if the case is in a vertical direction. You would need to hold your miter gauge in a vertical orientation while trying to set an angle. You also have to have the same "horizontal reference surface."

Some photos of what you are doing would help.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    I’d use a sliding bevel for this, digital isn’t going to be much help since you’re better off just matching the gauge to the cut than to assume the angle on the machine will recreate the angle called out by the digital gauge.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I'd like to hear from others experience who use digital angle gauges [with arms].
    You mean a digital protractor like this?
    I have a couple of them.

They work - but - they are only good for a few specific tasks.

For what you're trying to do, either a sliding bevel or a Starrett ProSite is going to work better.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 12-13-2021 at 9:00 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I’d use a sliding bevel for this,
    ^^ Brian beat me to it. Sometimes, an actual physical measurement with a tool that mimics that angle is the best solution and most accurate solution. No numbers involved. That said, you "May" need to take extra care locking your miter gage to the specific exact angle if it's not in a detent, so take care doing that so it stays set during the work. This may be a good time to consider making a dedicated sled which cannot change angle with use.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...