Thread: Replacing sticky rubber on push blocks

Replacing sticky rubber on push blocks

I have a few push blocks I use for my jointer and table saw, and I want to replace the rubber on them as it's in pretty rough shape and not really "grippy" enough. I also want to make some custom push blocks. Where can I find a suitable "grippy" material that will hold up to woodshop use and abuse? I can stick it on with spray adhesive.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

When we took a stroll through the new 5-Below in town yesterday, I noticed they had a bunch of inexpensive yoga mats and similar that "might" provide suitable material for this kind of application.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The old computer mouse mats make excellent grippy bases for push blocks.

I bought inexpensive adhesive-backed gripper pads from Amazon. You can get gripping tape too. I think GRR-Ripper sells replacement pads but not sure. If not torn up you can restore the grip on some pads by cleaning with denatured alcohol.

Shelf liner.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Check out Izzy Swan's video on "cork rubber."

Marshalltown makes good pads. The handles might be interchangeable. $10.

Gallery for Item ID 10754

Rubber Floats

The MARSHALLTOWN Rubber Floats are used for rough and/or textured finishes. They come with a ⅝" thick red rubber pad specially bonded to the aluminum backing plate for long wear. You have your choice of size and coarseness. The contractor-grade QLT Rubber Floats are ideal for bringing sand to the surface. They feature a lightweight and durable red rubber pad, wood handle, and stiff aluminum backing plate. You can choose between size and coarseness. The MARSHALLTOWN and QLT Rubber Floats are Made in the USA with Global Materials.

• MARSHALLTOWN Floats are used for rough and/or textured finishes
    • QLT Floats bring sand to the surface
    • PF104 poly-foam float is similar to fine-cell rubber floats and long lasting
    • Choose between size and coarseness
    • MARSHALLTOWN and QLT Rubber Floats are Made in the USA with Global Materials.

Brand

Float Grit

Handle Material

Length

Width

Thickness

Item ID: 10754
    Part #: RRF94C

$9.70
    Qty

Related Items

Cork Floats

Molded Rubber Float

Jump to Specifications Reviews You might also like...
    Specifications

CA Residents: Prop 65 Warning
    Item I​D 1​0​7​5​4​

Shipping Weight
    0.40 lbs

Shipping Length
    9.00 in.

Shipping Width
    4.20 in.

Shipping Height
    2.90 in.

Inner Pack Quantity
    6 pieces

Outer Pack Quantity
    6 pieces

Can Ship Small Package
    YES

UPC

Blog Entries
    I use sticky back 80 grit sandpaper.
    NOW you tell me...

Neoprene of some sort would be my choice. Just apply it with some industrial adhesive. I had a push block with a neoprene backing pad once. It was just the right amount of grip without being too compliant.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I avoid using any pushing devices that have metal that might accidentally or otherwise get close to my blades or cutters. Though masonry floats do make good pushing devices, keep their metal parts far away from your cutting edges. I might give a helper one when ripping long boards, I won't use one to feed the work past the cutting blade or bit.

When I have replaced the rubber surface of pushing devices, old computer mouse pads have been my source of the rubber. Automotive trim and door gasket adhesive holds very well and comes in a toothpaste type tube.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 12-10-2021 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    I avoid using any pushing devices that have metal that might accidentally or otherwise get close to my blades or cutters. Though masonry floats do make good pushing devices, keep their metal parts far away from your cutting edges. I might give a helper one when ripping long boards, I won't use one to feed the work past the cutting blade or bit.

When I have replaced the rubber surface of pushing devices, old computer mouse pads have been my source of the rubber. Automotive trim and door gasket adhesive holds very well and comes in a toothpaste type tube.

Charley

The metal is OK, it's aluminum. Putting steel close to my precious corrugated back shaper cutters would not be OK.I haven't cut the metal parts yet. I have trimmed the sponge rubber a little on the shaper.

I like the coarser sponge rubber, because it seems to grip really well when facing rough lumber on a jointer.

Would truck bed liner or dip-it paint work?
    Bill D